Campers, what do you eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Regarding titanium cookware, I bought a cheap 3 piece set from amazon a while back.
To be honest, it isn't a great deal lighter than the alloy set it replaced and cooking times are a little longer however, it does excel in one area. It loses heat very quickly. I'm able to use the same pot used for heating the water as a mug straight afterwards without melting my lips to its edges. :biggrin:

Interesting reply. Isn't this why it's considered poor for cooking pots though? In that it doesn't hold and spread the heat evenly through the pot to the food? A cooking pot that loses heat like that sounds bad for simmering cobbled together pasta sauces for instance. One of my favourite camping recipes.

Oatcakes and squeezey cheese,
Oatcakes good but no squeezey cheese.:tongue:

Interesting recipe.
(will have to google one or two bits)
but why titanium?
I understand that it's a poor heat conductor.
What's wrong with simply ally or preferably stainless steel?
What do you cook these creations on? ie: what stove?
I never tried titanium and wondered how much worse than aluminium it could be. At home I cook with tinned copper pans, I would love to take those but the laughter from other campers would be too much to take so I use an ancient alu Trangia set with the little kettle nesting in the middle.
For simmering I use an old Epigas stove that has a large burner, it has a well spaced flame and can achieve a very pleasing simmer. I refill Coleman none refillable cartridges with 70/30 butane propane, in temperatures greater than 0C there is still enough pressure for a stable simmer flame to the last 100g of gas in a 500g cartridge.
Walking or biking I take the Epigas stove along with a Primus Omnilite, the simmer on the Primus is not the best, the flame circle is too small for my liking but on a high flame setting it puts out enough heat to sauté vegetables meaningfully and even do passable wok cooking, I don't run the Primus on petrol as the simmer is worse than with gas.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Oatcakes good but no squeezey cheese.:tongue:

It's not something I would eat at home either, but if you are out for days, and resupply options are limited, or even non existant, its very welcome at lunchtime, on an oatcake, under some tomato and a bit of dried parsley leaf.

You're supposed to refrigerate it after opening, but some of us will risk it in the name of 'living life on the edge'

The vegetarian patés such as Tartex, are a reasonable substitute too.

The mushroom one is particularly nice.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Interesting reply. Isn't this why it's considered poor for cooking pots though? In that it doesn't hold and spread the heat evenly through the pot to the food? A cooking pot that loses heat like that sounds bad for simmering cobbled together pasta sauces for instance. One of my favourite camping recipes.

Absolutely no idea @Blue Hills. I've only used them twice to date and that was for boiling water to add to a pasta pot and a coffee.
Some day my camping culinary skills may expand......possibly :biggrin:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Her indoors gets edgy over one day past the use by date, I don't give a monkeys, if it doesn't have flies buzzing around it and its not crawling away then it gets eaten.

Well maybe with being a 'her outdoors' - most of the time, I too have a fairly strong biome / intestinal flora.

I've very rarely managed to make myself ill, with food, by just using common sense (and the sniff test).

I'll very rarely filter water from upland water sources either.

There's increasing recognition, that overprocessed foods, and oveclean environments can cause problems for our gut, and even exacerbate conditions such as asthma.

Common sense has done me OK so far, I'm disgustingly healthy most of the time :rolleyes:

jiberjaber

Veteran
I'm aghast that no one has mentioned Cassoulet! During my October few weeks in France it was my fav meal of the day, bring to the simmer for 8 mins and tip in a tin of mixed veg then finish off with a big dollop of Bouson (or any garlic & herb soft cheese) and munch through with the aid of bread and wine!

1581252718337.png

Another alternative was using the uncle ben's rice packs (add water and heat for a couple of mins) and a tin of tuna... again with cheese to make it creamy!
1581253120371.png

I lasted one night with fresh food and chopping it up to cook it but it was a bit too much of a faf. Same with Coffee, I took some coffee bags (like giant tea bags of coffee to get a fresh coffee hit but once I discovered the single serving coffee, milk and sugar packets (about 10 for 2 euro) I soon switched to them for convenience and not needing to carry milk.
1581253248638.png

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well mentioned, that is a very handy dish to have in a camping repertoire. I take dried beans and soak them in a bag of water during the day before I cook them. I can live with the tinned cassoulet but my own is too good to miss.

I'll even take alfalfa seeds, and sprout them along the way, over a few days, to have fresh greens to eat.

Does that qualify me for a 'Full Hippy Wholefoodista' badge ?? :angel:

Top Bottom