Campers, what do you eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brass weather calls for the one pot alter it until you get sick of it Minestrone. Very versatile dish and you can make use of dried beans and 1/2 salt ham hock resistant to spoiling and with a nice gelatinous bone to thicken and provide taste without excessive weight, if you are meatway inclined of course. I have taken a ham hock, the dried beans and a carton of decent tomato coulis on a 3 day trip and managed to find cabbage and the carrots, celery and onion for the base, a few potatoes cubed or some macaroni pads the beans out for carbs content. I mop mine up with even more carbs, a baguette.
I carry the leftovers in a zip food bag under the lid of a pannier and add something else appropriate to the flavours if I see it along the way.

If that's a rather heavy thing, screw on, with a fixed pot mount that rivals a domestic cooker, I may have the same one buried away, from my car camping days.
Very possibly is, if its weighty certainly but the simmer is nice, I made another pot rest out of alu and ditched the useless wind shield but its still not light.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Easily some of the best food ever eaten is whilst cyclecamping...Smash butties with loads of butter on springs to mind on a wet and windy traverse of the Brecon Beacons :okay:

It's amazing what tastes good when you're hungry enough.. And there's limited choice.

Onion infused potato flakes, parsley rehydrated in thick mushroom soup, and tinned sardines, whilst camped in a corrie in Torridon springs to mind.

I'd probably be appalled if someone presented with me a meal like that at home.

But after a full day out, with the sun going down, it was pretty close to ambrosia :okay:

You've clearly never been 'properly' hungry, whilst having limited supplies to hand. :rolleyes:
Truly never, I ate tempura prawns* washed down with vintage champagne on the Miage glacier and got too bladdered to acsend Mont Blanc in the early hours, there are no limited supplies in my bubble. Once I was reduced to eating christmas pudding topped with pasteurised custard after the joy of seared young venison haunch with a redcurrant and wine sauce on Christmas day by the side of Stickle Tarn, a low point as desserts go.
*freshly made batter and uncooked prawns

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Truly never, I ate tempura prawns* washed down with vintage champagne on the Miage glacier and got too bladdered to acsend Mont Blanc in the early hours, there are no limited supplies in my bubble. Once I was reduced to eating christmas pudding topped with pasteurised custard after the joy of seared young venison haunch with a redcurrant and wine sauce on Christmas day by the side of Stickle Tarn, a low point as desserts go.
*freshly made batter and uncooked prawns

Well done you..

It sounds like you travel with most excellent quatermastering staff. :okay:

#howtheotherhalfeats

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Tonight's dinner did, however, come in rather beautiful, biodegradable packaging.
:smile:

Top Bottom