Campers, what do you eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good stuff is what I eat when camping. I discovered a new (to me) recipe that suits one pot and camping in France (availability of Merguez at almost all butchers). The recipe is for Shakshuka, as made popular to us none mediterranean's by Yotam Ottolenghi.
Merguez, red pepper, onion, tomatoes, yoghurt or feta for dressing, eggs and spices/herbs from your travelling stash. In the Loire valley during summer all of the ingredients can be had without straying far from the river tracks and byways.
If I could find a none stick titanium sauteuse of 25cm diameter with detachable handle my camping gear would be complete, deep pans are handy but for sauce reduction they are crap.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I usually take home dehydrated dried veg to add to cous cous, quick cook pasta, instant mash.

Also packet soups, including miso, made thicker to make a kind of sauce.
In terms of protein to go with, jerky or other dried meat.
Hard cheese, dried sausage both of which last well unrefrigerated.

Oatcakes and squeezey cheese, or tortilla wraps with tinned or packetted fish.
Those mayo sachets from pubs make an adequate butter substitute, if you've picked up some bread in town.

In the mountains I will put up with the extra weight, and carefully cosset a few tomatoes over a few days to go with lunch.

In addition to taking decent branded dehydrated ready meals - favourite make right now is 'Firepot'.

For pudding - packet custard is naughty but nice.. With a few biscuits.

Nice to have some dark chocolate on board too.

Breakfast usually muesli with the milk powder ready added into portions.

Lots more things you can take, but it depends on your taste / budget / dietary needs.

Having said all that, if you are camping near a pub or restaurant, I think it's only polite to support the local services :hungry:

Good stuff is what I eat when camping. I discovered a new (to me) recipe that suits one pot and camping in France (availability of Merguez at almost all butchers). The recipe is for Shakshuka, as made popular to us none mediterranean's by Yotam Ottolenghi.
Merguez, red pepper, onion, tomatoes, yoghurt or feta for dressing, eggs and spices/herbs from your travelling stash. In the Loire valley during summer all of the ingredients can be had without straying far from the river tracks and byways.
If I could find a none stick titanium sauteuse of 25cm diameter with detachable handle my camping gear would be complete, deep pans are handy but for sauce reduction they are crap.
Interesting recipe.
(will have to google one or two bits)
but why titanium?
I understand that it's a poor heat conductor.
What's wrong with simply ally or preferably stainless steel?
What do you cook these creations on? ie: what stove?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sure, but innovative ideas deserve a new thread:smile:.

But my idea of innovation, maybe someone else's old news.

There are only so many foodstuffs out there.
It's the treatment, and the combination, that changes.

As @Blue Hills says, there's very little actually new under the sun..

Trust me - I'm a farmer.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Interesting recipe.
(will have to google one or two bits)
but why titanium?
I understand that it's a poor heat conductor.
What's wrong with simply ally or preferably stainless steel?
What do you cook these creations on? ie: what stove?

Us lightweight campers prefer titanium because of its weight saving and durability.
Conductivity not a problem.

Plus it makes us feel all space age and forward thinking - - and considerably poorer :sad:

Tried seasoning a shallow titanium pan, with very hot oil, in order to be able to fry eggs in it whilst camping.

Results were underwhelming...

Us lightweight campers prefer titanium because of its weight saving and durability.
Conductivity not a problem.

Plus it makes us feel all space age and forward thinking - - and considerably poorer :sad:

Tried seasoning a shallow titanium pan, with very hot oil, in order to be able to fry eggs in it whilst camping.

Results were underwhelming...
confused.
So you like titanium cooking stuff or not?
I'm still p'ed off from the sales chap who tried to divert me from a half price trangia duossal set in favour of a rocket jet multifuel thing meant for folk on everest ledges.

P'ed off that I let the former pass but was at least sensible enough to let the alternative second suggestion rest awhile in my head and then rejected as "peformance" addicted.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
confused.
So you like titanium cooking stuff or not?
I'm still p'ed off from the sales chap who tried to divert me from a half price trangia duossal set in favour of a rocket jet multifuel thing meant for folk on everest ledges.

P'ed off that I let the former pass but was at least sensible enough to let the alternative second suggestion rest awhile in my head and then rejected as "peformance" addicted.

Both like and use titanium for cooking.
But it has its limitations.

Frying eggs being one.

Mostly use it with a very lightweight alcohol stove set up - less fierce, and lighter than gas. Can put a simmer ring on burner to calm the flame down for sautéing oinions etc.
Much lighter than a trangia.

Even when not on Everest ledges

Fuel easier to find. Stove harder to knock over.

Titanium pot sits within the rim of the cone, alu can meths burner underneath

It's probs not so crucial to have it all so lightweight for bike touring, but given that it all doubles up for backpacking it makes sense to use the same kit, and save the grammes

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I often refer to the Backpacker’s Cookbook by Dave Coustick. My copy was published in 1996 so may not be available now. I use these books for ideas and adapt to suit myself. My wife who was an excellent cook regarded cookbooks as for wimps and this has rubbed off on me. There have been some disasters but not many.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Regarding titanium cookware, I bought a cheap 3 piece set from amazon a while back.
To be honest, it isn't a great deal lighter than the alloy set it replaced and cooking times are a little longer however, it does excel in one area. It loses heat very quickly. I'm able to use the same pot used for heating the water as a mug straight afterwards without melting my lips to its edges. I don't have to worry about it melting the tent floor when I put I'd down either.
Plus, it's Titanium! Ooooooooooh! :biggrin:

Top Bottom