Camping in Canada (Bears?).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Obviously a well-bred bear.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
The Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and golfers to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while hiking.

They advise people to wear noise producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. They also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
On the road to Yellow Stone Park in a hire car we spotted a bison laying in the dust on the side of the road. Got out for a photo but it just lay there switching flies off with its tail. Waved our arms and shouted at it trying for a better pic (terrible behaviour I know and I wouldnt bother a wild animal now) but it just opened one eye gave us a withering look and continued its nap.

Bit further up the road we came across a sign saying "On no account should you approach Bison .Several people attacked each year on this road." Lucky for us he couldnt be arsed on thjis occasion.

Sterba

Über Member
Canada is lovely, but most of the route you are talking about is a two lane main road stretching endlessly across a flat unchanging landscape interepersed with trucks and camper vans whose drivers are falling asleep with boredom at the wheel as they come up behind you. Bears would be the least of your worries.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Canada is lovely, but most of the route you are talking about is a two lane main road stretching endlessly across a flat unchanging landscape interepersed with trucks and camper vans whose drivers are falling asleep with boredom at the wheel as they come up behind you. Bears would be the least of your worries.
I'd still worry about the wolverine. Then the oversized vehicles, then all bear encounters.

Top Bottom