Camping in Canada (Bears?).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
My BIL came from Canada this evening. He hikes a bit.
http://www.camping-expert.com/bear-repellent.html
Very few people get killed . In terms of statistics, two wheels in the UK is way more dangerous.
They still scare the life out of me when I'm there.

Great web site. Best quote (amongst many) "Tuck your head between your lifted legs and wrap your arms around your legs. If it starts to eat you though, fight back"

RWright

Guru
You might want to also do a search for black flies in Canada. I had to deal with them in Minnesota. I heard they are worse in some parts of Canada, not sure which. I know I would plan my trip around them. I think there is a season for them.

A Canadian park ranger is giving some ramblers a warning about bears, ‘Brown bears are usually harmless. They avoid contact with humans so we suggest you attach small bells to your rucksacks and give the bears time to get out of your way. However, grizzly bears are extremely dangerous. If you see any grizzly-bear droppings leave the area immediately.’ ‘So how do we know if they’re grizzly bear droppings?’ asks one of the ramblers. ‘It’s easy,’ replies the ranger. ‘They’re full of small bells.’

Two men go out for a walk in the forest when they see a bear. The first takes off his backpack, takes out a pair of trainers, and puts them on. The other looks at him and says, ‘That’s pretty stupid. You can’t outrun a bear!’ ‘That’s true,’ says his friend. ‘But then again, I only need to outrun you.’

Trail Child

You might want to also do a search for black flies in Canada. I had to deal with them in Minnesota. I heard they are worse in some parts of Canada, not sure which. I know I would plan my trip around them. I think there is a season for them.
Worse in the more heavily forested areas. Black fly season is May to end of June. Mosquitos overlap that and continue from there. Horse & deer flies take over in July.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
So tell me about these black flies.
Bitey little buggers are they?
As Trail Child said, they draw blood. In fact they actually bite living lumps of flesh out of you, the little sods!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
They're related to midges. You have been warned.

Personally, I'd worry about moose. Herbivores whose attitude is 'Why should I run away? I'm HUGE!'...

Living in the west of Scotland, I have lots of experience of midges. If these black fly things are bigger versions of midges then bears pale into insignificance. Canada might well be joining the list of "popular holiday destinations that do not appeal". ^_^

Is that the Mooses' attitude to humans? Presumably if a bear arrived on the scene it might decide to do a runner?

Canrider

Guru
Twice as big as an adult grizzly and there's three times as many of them? I'd wager you're more likely to be injured by a moose than a bear, TBH. Having said that, as others have pointed out, cars are your biggest danger when cycling, no matter where you may be.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Two men go out for a walk in the forest when they see a bear. The first takes off his backpack, takes out a pair of trainers, and puts them on. The other looks at him and says, ‘That’s pretty stupid. You can’t outrun a bear!’ ‘That’s true,’ says his friend. ‘But then again, I only need to outrun you.’

Absolutely brilliant!! Love the sense of humor:laugh:

Top Bottom