Camping in Canada (Bears?).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Bears look like friendly chaps to me.

We were driving on a fairly remote road on the North end of Vancouver island a couple of years ago and came across a group of black bears by the roadside. They were on their back legs, daintily removing blackberries from the bushes. The thing that struck us was how beautiful and shiny their coats were.
They move with lightning speed. I didn't wind down the window to wave. We didn't want a passenger.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
All areas in North America have their hazards, critter wise. In Illinois, much of the area under cultivation has been planted in corn, providing a nice Buffet for the White-Tailed Deer, which get very nearly the size of a small Jersey cow in my area. South of here, this abundance has attracted the attention of the Cougar, a sort of big, brown Panther the color of dead leaves. They much prefer to eat cyclists when they have them. These are spreading from the Southwest into Illinois, in the deeply forested southern part. Rattlesnakes like to cozy up to you for warmth when it's cold out. Grizzly Bears and Brown Bears and Black Bears. Truth be told, I have photographed and traveled from Canada to the Southeast U.S. and have only seen the White Tailed Deer and the Rattlesnake. Of course, I listened to the radio when I was in Minnesota. They had Bear alerts, so you knew where to avoid. My point, arrived at after a fashion, is this- There are times when you can be in the wilds and have a lot less probability of wildlife encounters. It pays to know your neighbors and their habits, even in the woods. Look out for the Wolverine.
220px-Wolverine_on_rock.jpg

Courtesy Wikipedia

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Oh- and another thing- Coyotes- not so bad, mostly will avoid you, although I had a litter of pups come up and investigate my bike on the road. Wolves a whole different matter entirely. There are many who live in Canada, our Northern Neighbor.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Brandane, good luck with that! I hope everything works out well.

....I have one or two medical issues. The major one being a heart rhythm problem which rears its' ugly head now and again; particularly in the past month or so. ....but there is now an operation available to correct my condition, involving a laser beam and a Surgeon with a steady hand. Fingers crossed!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
There are quite a few coyotes in the woods near my house; hear them now and again (enough for the kids to call the woods "Coyote Woods"). Coyotes occasionally will kill pet dogs (even when out with their owners, and I'd definitely not let a small kid go wander in there alone either -not that I'd let a small kid go alone without coyotes anyway!). We also know we have a Fisher Cat (not a good thing to come across, but not deadly) in the neighbourhood. We also supposedly have brown recluse and black widow spiders (I think I've seen a brown recluse, but I've never seen a black widow).

It's never put me off touring in Massachusetts. Honestly, you'll usually never see or come across this stuff.

When we were in Australia years ago we wild camped all over the place and never gave a thought to all the bitey, stingey things they've got over there.

Crankarm

Guru
When we were in Australia years ago we wild camped all over the place and never gave a thought to all the bitey, stingey things they've got over there.

You're not wrong there! When I was there I never went in the seas for fear of being bitten (sea snakes, sharks, stung (box jelly fish tenticles which can be 5km long or leave severe burns over skin) or eaten (shark). Mind you I did a fair few bush walks, seeing quite a few King Brown snakes which are pretty bad tempered things. One morning about 7am I was driving a minibus through an orange plantation in South Australia where I was working for a few weeks and this snake came straight out of one row of oranges across the dirt road in front of the van into another as fast as a man could run. No time to brake or swerve. Blink and you would miss it. We were doing about 20-25mph. It must have been about 8-9 feet long moving fast with it's head up about 4 foot off the ground. Scary.

Picking bananas in Queensland was the worst. Venomous snakes would slither down the frond and go to sleep around the huge fronds of bananas inside the huge foil lined bags used to ripen and protect bananas for harvest. You had to reach up into the tree and cut the main stem with a machete then take the whole weight of the huge frond (stack) of bananas on your shoulder. Any sleeping snake would rapidly wake up and bite you on the neck killing you within a couple of minutes. We always had dogs that would bark like mad if there were any snakes around the fronds. I didn't get bitten but a couple of my co-workers did and when we got back to the shed there were always snakes sliding out of the huge bunches as they were divided and packed. King Browns, taipans, scary scary work it was. And the sap was awful black sticky goo that wouldn't come off any clothing. It was bin your clothes at the end of every week. Spiders were a nightmare as well.

In the outback I was always told to sleep on a picnic table if you could off the ground as come morning you could well have an unwelcome visitor snuggled up against you or even inside your bag ..................

Saw quite a few snakes wrapped up inside wheel arches and around suspension parts adjacent to exhaust systems or actually around silencers. You always had to check shoes or boots before putting them on. A maintenance guy at one of the hostels I was staying nearly died as snake slithered into a large black bucket he was using for tools etc I guess for the heat. Anyway guy reached in for a tool without looking into the bucket and was bitten by a King Brown snake. He spent a couple of weeks in hospital and luckily lived.

Blimey, sounds like you had my share of the bitey, stingers! The only thing I had to contend with was removing the Red Back spiders (which aren't really very dangerous) from the train air con units I worked on in Brisbane. I did get stung by a non-lethal jelly fish one time and once whilst snorkelling in north WA came face to face with a 'big' shark, it was probably only about 4' long really but I would have beaten Mark Spitz the speed I swam back to the beach!

MarkF

Guru
How many people die from bear attacks in Canada a year? 1 or 2 maybe? There are what, 30/40 million inhabitants? And camping is national past time.............I once got bitten by a squirrel in Vancouver but it's still a place I'd like to cycle in again.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Our two dogs were sprayed by a skunk last night. This is another animal you don't want crawling into your tent believe me.
I have seen skunks while touring . They saw me coming, and ran off across an open field . In rural areas of the U.S. I worry more about farm dogs. Even my own are not big fans of bicycles.

Top Bottom