Camping in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vandatubes

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is a lot cheaper to camp in France rather than staying in a cheap motel chain such as F1 motels?

Years ago I used the Municipal sites and does any have recent experience?

regards:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well, my cheapest site was 3.40 euros for 2 people last year and the most expensive was 12 euros so I would think that it was cheaper to camp.

andym

Über Member
3.40 euros for two people is not at all typical (rich p will probably be telling people about that site for years to come) but yes it is cheaper to camp.

But do also look at gites d'étape - between 35 and 45 euros in demi-pension. More expensive than camping if you cook for yourself but comparable with camping and eating out. They're a good alternative for days when you want a roof over your head but you don't want to spring for a hotel.

Crankarm

Guru
rich p said:
Well, my cheapest site was 3.40 euros for 2 people last year and the most expensive was 12 euros so I would think that it was cheaper to camp.

Yep the municipal sites are that cheap :rolleyes:. But if you went to Cannes or St Raphael the cost would be be a bit more but most town campsites in France are cheap. Private camp sites with all the mid cons can be as expensive as hotels. Formula 1 are about 20-25 Euro a night or they were about 2 year ago.

OP
OP
vandatubes

vandatubes

campsites in France.

Hi

Any one used a good camp site in the Dordogne area?

It has to be quiet, relaxing and good value for money.

I'll be there for about aweek in August (8th?) and then moving on .

Are the sites busy due to French taking their hols in August?

Any advice will be great

regards

tourdottk

try this site for an "indicative" price and indication of what is in the region
http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/france/aquitaine/dordogne
On one of the 4 detailed maps of the region there is a campsite with pitches for EURO 8.70, but most range in the 20-35 EURO range. A few are cheaper.

Since one map has 72 listings, it more than likely means it's a busy place: Peak season runs from mid may to the end of september, so the yes it'll be busy in the tourist areas. Dordogne is pretty big though!

The municipal sites are always cheaper and better (my opinion):here's a few links, but you can just google: "dordogne municipal campsite (campground) france" and you'll come up with more hits

http://www.suncamp.co.uk/gb/en/camp...les-vignes/uc33-l2-n797-c10-r43.438-cp103781/

http://www.argentat.fr/camping/index_eng.htm

http://www.campingdefrance.com/camp...e/camping.php?lang=ENG&NumCamp=1808&NumDep=24

Enjoy: France is one of the best places in the world to cycle in and the food is great!

Sonya

andym

Über Member
I was looking at the Guide Routard campsite guide this morning. They list a site that charges less than 3 euros for two people plus vehicle (for those who want to know it's the Aire Naturelle Municipale Les Érables in Calvinet in the Auvergne). Could this be the record?

According to the Guide less than 10 euros is very cheap, 10-15 euros is cheap and 15 euros or more is average to expensive. Bear in mind these are prices for two people plus a vehicle. Prices for two people plus tent and no vehicle should be less, and for one person even less than that (although there are a minority of sites that have a standard basic tariff based on two people plus vehicle). My personal estimates for a solo bike camper would be less than 7 euros cheap, 7-10 euros average, and 10 euros or more average to expensive. Some areas seem to be more expensive - eg Britanny (I wonder if this is because they are near the UK ferry routes?).

Municipal sites aren't always cheaper and better. A lot are run as private franchises - and often the word 'municipal' disappears from the name - and charge the market rate. Private sites can also often be cheap and good.

tourdottk

andym said:
I was looking at the Guide Routard campsite guide this morning. They list a site that charges less than 3 euros for two people plus vehicle (for those who want to know it's the Aire Naturelle Municipale Les Érables in Calvinet in the Auvergne). Could this be the record?

Gy had a camping municipal with standard toilet facilities and long grass which is nice to sleep on. It cost us only €1.50 per pitch to stay overnight.

Darney Municipal had a camping area for €1.00 per night per pitch.

Camped at both in Aug 2004 - so, prices may have increased

andym said:
Municipal sites aren't always cheaper and better. A lot are run as private franchises - and often the word 'municipal' disappears from the name - and charge the market rate. Private sites can also often be cheap and good.

Okay then always was a strong word, :becool: however, in all our tours in France- 4 decent length trips, we found the municipal option generally cheaper for cyclists, at least we always headed there first. There were only a couple of exceptions of under-standard spots, but hey France is a big place and I wouldn't be surprised if it varied from region to region too.

Still, by the looks of what is on internet Dordogne has tonnes of options. If you don't like your first spot, you can always move on.

Sonya

Mandarinas

hey guys do you know any new campsites in france?

Top Bottom