Camping LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ghengis

Hi I'm new to this site so hope i'm not going over old ground but couldn't find a link for a camping route....
Myself and my partner are planning to do LEJOG at the end of September and take 14 days. We will have no support and want to camp as much as possible.
Our bikes are all kitted up to hold panniers and we have done a 5 day practice trip without too many problems ALTHOUGH we are intrigued to know if there are any companies that offer a bag carrying service (similar to that offered to walkers on the west highland way)?
Also does anyone have any links to route maps with campsites?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Yes!

Mrs Uncle Phil and I did this. OK, we stayed at two Youth Hostels - but we could have camped nearby or in the hostel grounds if we'd wanted.

There's no single page with the route on I'm afraid, but there's a day-by-day journal with maps here. There's a campsite at the end point of each day's journey which you'll find in a road atlas and probably in the Camping and Caravanning Club's Big Sites Book. (It's worth joining the C&CC - they have certified sites in out of the way places, but you need to be a member to use them).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There is not set route. If you stop and think about it there a whole network of roads through which you can choose a route that suits you. I tried looking at other folks' routes and to be honest I wasted a lot of time deliberating over details that didn't warrant the squandering of time.

My route planning consisted of buying a Philips motoring atlas with camp sites marked on it and divided the anticipated mileage, 1000, by the number of days, 16, to get an approximate daily mileage and then tried to identify appropriate campsites before giving that up and decided just to point my bit away from the claffs and Land's End and pedal and camp at a site that was near enough at the end of a day's pedalling.

Not everyone can cope with the lack of detailed planning that serves me well but the basics are there:

Get a road atlas mark in approximate distances (70-80 miles) and look for nearby camp sites. I found some superb ones on my LEJOG and JOGLE rides, sometimes in places that LEJOG and JOGLE riders would not go.

just jim

I would agree 100% with Vernon, and that's the way I would do it next time, hopefully next year.
You could think about reducing the amount of stuff, rather than sending it on. Also, keep your valuables with you while camping. I failed to heed my own advice and got my phone nicked in a seemingly quite location.

michael3429

There are lot's of companies that offer supported LEJOG's ride but are expensive. If you plan out your route phone the campsites your going to stay at and courier things there will save you a fortune. Between 2 of you with full panniers you should beable to get away with carrying most of the stuff.

Top Bottom