camping, none to cheap starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

well I had hought that cycle camping would be a nice cheap past time. How wrong I was.
Tent had planned to spend around £60 ended up spending £200.
Mattress expected £10 spent £40.
Sleeping bag seen them for £20 but looks like I will end up spending around £100 so I hope I will enjoy it.
The advice I have recieved on here has been fantastic. I have learned that whilst you can get cheap equipment drom the supermarkets it is worthwile paying extra for quality.
currently looking in specilised hicking stores at sleeping bags and am amazed at the choice and prices. I would love a 4 season down bag but price wise recon it will end up being a synthetic 4 season bag.

JackE

Über Member
Would suggest that before you buy a synthetic bag you look at: www.alpkit.com . They have some excellent lightweight down sleeping bags at very good prices. You will have to go above the £100 mark but a good down bag will last 3/4 times longer than a synthetic one. I have their Pipedream 400 (just gone up in price to £130) but they have cheaper ones. My old 4 season bag is still going strong after 25 years, it's just too heavy nowadays. Their mats are cheaper as well.

jay clock

Massive member
I know how you feel. After a few hotel tours I did camping last year and learnt my lesson. I now have a new tent (down from 3 kg to 1.7kg) @ £90, a new sleeping bag (dwon from 1200 to 400g) @£200 and a new airbed (up 200g) at £90. However those 200g are worth it! My thermarest meant miserable uncomfortable nights - the new Exped Downmat is simply dozens of times better.

Off to France in 10 days!! Yippee. see here www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/france2009

hubbike

For me cycle camping has always been cheap and cheerful. but then I am a friend of car boots, charity shops, e-bay, gumtree and most importantly army surplus shops.

I have bought expensive equipment too (such as a Gortex jacket) but I've earned it by making do with a crap 2nd hand one for years.

Having said all that. Buying good quality 2nd hand stuff and looking after it, repairing it, etc, will be the most cost effective approach.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

just be into Kathmandu (Outdoor store) they currently have Large Navigator Down filled sleeping bag ,weight 1680g comfort rated to -7' extreme -20, currently reduced from £208 to £104 which seems a great price for a goosedown bag. Witha compresion sack it compacts down to nice travelling size. Any one got any thoughts.

samid

Guru
1680g seems a bit too heavy for summer cycle touring, IMHO. Depends of course, but I'm using a bag rated to about 0, weighing 650g, and think it is enough warmth-wise.

Edit: re-checked, my bag is less than 500g actually, rated +5 or so.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

I have looked at lighter, but one thing I do like is a good nights sleep and like to feel the weight of the bag (or blankets). Also it is not a mummy shapped bag, as i did try a couple but like space to move around in. I intend to use the tent and bag from early spring through to late Autum (possibly longer) and intend visiting the Highlands and Yorkshire Moors , so a warm bag is important.

MessenJah

Rider
Lol :bravo: cycle touring & camping isn't expensive at all. 'cheap' and 'expensive' are relative anyway... if you're comparing the cost of cycle camping to sitting at home doing nothing, then of course it's going to seem expensive... but in the long run if you use your equipment regularly then it's a damn site cheaper than, say, staying in hotels and driving everywhere.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

I agree that once you have the equipment it is not an expensive pasr time. What I was saying that the initial cost of equipment surprised me..This was my fault as I had looked initialy at supermarket prices and hadnt considere quality.
I agree that you could go 2nd hand. I am hoping that by paying extra for quality items will mean they will be more robust, last longer and provide a bit more comfort. I have now gone for a heavier Goose down sleeping bag £104 which seems a bargain for a down bag and should give me a good nights sleep.
All in I am looking forward to my 1st trip, planned for the next BH although not decided where yet

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Well thats me gort all the major items, opted for the kathmandu navigator V4 sleeping bag, yes at 1.6kg its a bit heavier than alternatives. But its goose down rated to -7 for comfort and -20 extreme. Also it is the large bag so plenty of room and its not a mummy bag, tried a few mummy bags but felt to constrictive for me, I like room to move. At £104 I was quite happy, at same time got a compresion sack and a wet stowage bag. so already for the 1st outing.
I have a small camping gaz single burner stove but may get one of the flat catridge style stoves as it looks a bit more stable . Any opinions (cash getting tight). Also need to find a decent light. Not sure about gas lights as I would like to be able to hang it in the tent, so battery is preferable. however want something that will last a reasonable time, considering LED light as i believe they use less power , so battery will last longer, any sugestions:laugh:

andym

Über Member
delt1c said:
I have a small camping gaz single burner stove but may get one of the flat catridge style stoves as it looks a bit more stable . Any opinions (cash getting tight). Also need to find a decent light. Not sure about gas lights as I would like to be able to hang it in the tent, so battery is preferable. however want something that will last a reasonable time, considering LED light as i believe they use less power , so battery will last longer, any sugestions:laugh:

Camping gaz is a good choice for continental europe. Not necessarily elsewhere. If you're worried about stability you can get stands that attach to the bottom of the cylinder.

I'd get an led headtorch. you can hang it from a hook in the tent. You'll probably be taytered by the time it gets dark.

MessenJah

Rider
led headtorches are great when you need a piss and must keep your hands free, one to hold your beer and one to hold your shaftpipe.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Sods law steps in, checked the stove at the weekend and technically speaking it was knackered, a flame 6ins high with more smoke than the flying Scotsman, so it went straight in the bin.
But there was a blessing, done some surfing on the web and got a (new ) Sunngas Alpine Store for £14.27 including p&p. Interesting as soon as I ordered it the web site was updated within an hour and the price increased to £19.99 so think I got a bargain. Stove arrived today and it is ideal, just got to get a couple of gas canisters. Instructions say to use Sunngas C230 or C450 cylinders, but I see halfords have a 4 for 2 offer on gas cylinders (same conector) so cant see why I should have to use the Sunn cylinders . Would I be correct in saying as long as it is the standard thread fitting resealable cannister it should be OK.
Thanks for the advice on lamps. I have a headband type LED so that will do.
Popped into Kathmandu store yesterday and they have some good bargains in their sale which ends Sunday. Got a micro towel (size of a hanky £2.50) .
Just got to get the front panniers and bag liner then its all stations go. Sleeping bag is warm enough but plan to get a liner as I would rather wash the liner than the Down bag.

Top Bottom