Camping or glamping - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I still do most of my touring 'analogue' even though I could (and occasionally do) use online mapping etc..

Having to ask the way, stopping to unfold the map, has always been part of the fun for me.

And has lead to all sorts of other opportunities, information, and generosity

A very kind Spanish cyclist gentleman explained to me how he used airbuds and satnav to help him find his way, when I asked him best route to ......

I semi aped surprise at such marvellous technology as if I'd never encountered the like..

But if I had air buds (is that what they're called?) I'd never had got to practice my bad Spanish on him...😇

Imo you don't need technology to find cold beer and or decent food, just keep your eyes peeled, or ask a local .

The need for good refreshment, is fairly universally understood.

As a teenager, always liked camping plain. Growing up in the heart of NYC, we always wanted to head for the hills on the weekends.

We all seemed to like winter camping more than summer. No bugs, snakes, heat exhaustion, and your meats and eggs you brought along stayed fresh. Working hard to stay warm made all food taste super good, and coffee and hot chocolate as well.

None of us had a vehicle or money for a bus ticket. We packed up our backpacks (@ 55lbs usually) and hitched upstate. 6lb tent, 4lb sleeping bag, a gallon of water each, sometimes some rotgut alcohol, BWAC (bread, wine, apples @ cheese) a camping saw, camping ax, flashlights, clothes and more food. Bags to carry out the trash. Thank goodness back then we didn’t have iPads, phones, computers! Just weatherproof topo maps of our trails and a compass. The only camping sites there were the ones we made.

Not sure at 67 if I’d think this style of camping is fantastic today. The spirit is willing but the body gets grumpy!

Darn great memories though. ⛺

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As a teenager, always liked camping plain. Growing up in the heart of NYC, we always wanted to head for the hills on the weekends.

We all seemed to like winter camping more than summer. No bugs, snakes, heat exhaustion, and your meats and eggs you brought along stayed fresh. Working hard to stay warm made all food taste super good, and coffee and hot chocolate as well.

None of us had a vehicle or money for a bus ticket. We packed up our backpacks (@ 55lbs usually) and hitched upstate. 6lb tent, 4lb sleeping bag, a gallon of water each, sometimes some rotgut alcohol, BWAC (bread, wine, apples @ cheese) a camping saw, camping ax, flashlights, clothes and more food. Bags to carry out the trash. Thank goodness back then we didn’t have iPads, phones, computers! Just weatherproof topo maps of our trails and a compass. The only camping sites there were the ones we made.

Not sure at 67 if I’d think this style of camping is fantastic today. The spirit is willing but the body gets grumpy!

Darn great memories though. ⛺

Well i did similar as a youngster, only in Europe not so much fear of snakes or bears..

Bears would make me nervous.

Bugs are just part of life - an essential one in fact.

Some of us just never stopped doing it..
Not quite at your maturity yet, but not so far behind either .. 🤔

Still hiking, biking, hitchhiking and 'roughing it*' ..
(*by some peoples standards)

But the kit is much better..
Fancy lightweight but sturdy (often American) tents, down filled sleeping bags, and comfy sleeping mat, which the older body needs imo 🙂

I know people quite a bit older than yourself that do the same though.

But I guess if you've got out of the habit, it might be harder to restart 🤔
Still the memories last either way..

Modern tech is quite nice for recording where you've been 😊

PXL_20220525_175902709.jpg

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Minds me of an occasion many years back when I was camping in a field near Abdon Burf in Shropshire. Being late October, the nights were chilly. Got up for a widdle to a night frost and the most beautiful starlit sky untainted by light pollution. ^_^

Lovely..

It was just a bit frosty here too .

In the moontins the milky way can often appear as if in 3D..

Makes it worth the effort of getting up so high to camp..

And it can be so very quiet too, if there's no wind, or streams nearby.. 😊

Petrichorwheels

I think @mudsticks probably meant that the clarity of the skies in the mountains gives the observer more of a feeling of depth of field thus rendering a sense of more three dimensional viewpoint than might otherwise be achieved.

Could be wrong and mansplaining tho...

throw that man a (drugged) dogbiscuit.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think @mudsticks probably meant that the clarity of the skies in the mountains gives the observer more of a feeling of depth of field thus rendering a sense of more three dimensional viewpoint than might otherwise be achieved.

Could be wrong and mansplaining tho...

This is exactly what I meant yes.
Depth of field..

Anyone who has seen it would know what I meant.

And you just see more stars, full stop..

Perfectly good 'splaining 👍🏼

throw that man a (drugged) dogbiscuit.

Any particular reason to do that ??

Top Bottom