Camping or glamping - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It seems to me that some camp sites no longer want tents, I assume because they can get more money out of the camper vans and caravans that have apparently increased in numbers since the pandemic started.

We also depend less on facilities, which means they need to provide less investment for us campervanwankers. We also use sites through the season too. May have an impact....

We also depend less on facilities, which means they need to provide less investment

There must be plus/minuseses to that, no? Electric hookups will be quite an investment.
Do you not use toilets/shower? (I don't know - they did have them at the only place I've shared with motorhomes, so I presume the motorhomewankers could use them!)
Greater wear on the surfaces?

I've heard you're much more picky about karaoke facilities.

Fredo76

Über Member
"Glamor" and camping just don't mix, thank God. Even the word is ugly - glamping - ugh.

The funniest ones are those who think camping is beneath them; that they deserve better, having earned better, when there is no 'better', even. Watch for the traditional 'horrors of camping' stories every summer, and be glad if you are not quite so clueless!

Fab Foodie

There must be plus/minuseses to that, no? Electric hookups will be quite an investment.
Do you not use toilets/shower? (I don't know - they did have them at the only place I've shared with motorhomes, so I presume the motorhomewankers could use them!)
Greater wear on the surfaces?

I've heard you're much more picky about karaoke facilities.

Possibly, we use showers and toilets if they are there, even though we can be self- sufficient, but not everybody does. Fewer vans 'need' electric hook-ups these days with solar gaining in popularity. Hook-up more use in the winter for heating.

Maybe campsites prefer campervanwankers over tents because we tend to be older gits that have cocoa at 9pm and don't need Karaoke facilities, not like them tentastic types with their kids and their morning outdoor bacon cooking and having fun all the time, harrumph. Often the 'Club Sites' we go on are like gated communities :sad:

To be honest, I don't know!

Personally I like sites with a mix of users and ages....and a decent karaoke machine as well, obvs....

Sallar55

Veteran
Possibly, we use showers and toilets if they are there, even though we can be self- sufficient, but not everybody does. Fewer vans 'need' electric hook-ups these days with solar gaining in popularity. Hook-up more use in the winter for heating.

Maybe campsites prefer campervanwankers over tents because we tend to be older gits that have cocoa at 9pm and don't need Karaoke facilities, not like them tentastic types with their kids and their morning outdoor bacon cooking and having fun all the time, harrumph. Often the 'Club Sites' we go on are like gated communities :sad:

To be honest, I don't know!

Personally I like sites with a mix of users and ages....and a decent karaoke machine as well, obvs....
We have just arrived at the camping only 2 ways to judge a camping. 1 go and have a look for nice pitch and install. 2 the pizza van must be up and running just outside the campsite. Sometimes picking a spot is hard.

DSC_1863.JPG
😀

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The idea of camping is much nicer than the reality. I've had bad times putting a tent up in the pitch back and driving rain with a torch like a candle. I'd rather stop at home now.I think its alright for kids and for people who don't mind stinking of BO but that's it.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I enjoy it all!

I've hiked in the past and wildcamped with the most basic of gear for a few nights and am planning on some similar 'bikepacking' (don't shoot me) style trips this year.
Use a four man with the girlfriend if we fancy a few nights away with friends when car camping with decent size gas stoves and air beds etc.
Also done 'glamping' pods with hotubs which I enjoy.
In the past me and the ex would take our daughter camping for full weeks with ehu, tables, inflatable sofa etc in an 8 man vango airbeam which I also bloody loved and miss (the tent, not the ex :whistle:).

I think its good to have options to suit your needs and whichever way you decide to do it, you're out in nature, getting an experience and enjoying it.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

I enjoy it all!

I've hiked in the past and wildcamped with the most basic of gear for a few nights and am planning on some similar 'bikepacking' (don't shoot me) style trips this year.
Use a four man with the girlfriend if we fancy a few nights away with friends when car camping with decent size gas stoves and air beds etc.
Also done 'glamping' pods with hotubs which I enjoy.
In the past me and the ex would take our daughter camping for full weeks with ehu, tables, inflatable sofa etc in an 8 man vango airbeam which I also bloody loved and miss (the tent, not the ex :whistle:).

I think its good to have options to suit your needs and whichever way you decide to do it, your out in nature, getting an experience and enjoying it.

Am with you. Whilst @Hill Wimp considers the Campervan as the basis of acceptable camping, I am equally at home in a bivvy and tarp, or backpacking tent.
Love camping....

I did a lot of cycle touring when I was younger. I had my Galaxy or my old Puegeot MTB, loaded it up with self-sufficient tent, stove etc and used to set off, sometimes for days at a time. I very often had no idea where I was going - it was all before GPS. The conversations and experiences were part of the fun, and I was generally pretty lucky.

I wouldn't fancy it now, but one of the things that put me off starting riding again (for about ten years, actually!) was me thinking I was "too soft" to do that type of touring. My last cycling holiday was staying in a static caravan in Mablethorpe. Easy riding, lots of nature. But decent food, cold beer and a decent shower!

Aren't people strange?

Checking local campsites recently, one advertised glamping pods complete with kitchen, flatscreen tv and a dvd system - ! :laugh:
Checking local bikeshops recently, one advertised an electric bike with electric gear change, tubeless tyres, built in computer & GPS! :laugh:

People like what they like, fear what they fear.

If my first tour wasn't a package deal with my baggage ferried from hotel to hotel I probably would never have had the confidence to be a bit more adventurous.

The idea of camping is much nicer than the reality. I've had bad times putting a tent up in the pitch back and driving rain with a torch like a candle.
That's true.....
But once the tent is up and you're inside, cold, wet, probably hungry there's a tremendous satisfaction and comfort in listening to the weather trying to batter the life out of you while you slowly make yourself comfortable. And maybe resolving to get yourself a proper torch ^_^. Or paying better attention to the weather. Or stopping earlier.

The flip side is that sometimes we get to set up home in places that are beyond magical.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I did a lot of cycle touring when I was younger. I had my Galaxy or my old Puegeot MTB, loaded it up with self-sufficient tent, stove etc and used to set off, sometimes for days at a time. I very often had no idea where I was going - it was all before GPS. The conversations and experiences were part of the fun, and I was generally pretty lucky.

I wouldn't fancy it now, but one of the things that put me off starting riding again (for about ten years, actually!) was me thinking I was "too soft" to do that type of touring. My last cycling holiday was staying in a static caravan in Mablethorpe. Easy riding, lots of nature. But decent food, cold beer and a decent shower!

Aren't people strange?
I still do most of my touring 'analogue' even though I could (and occasionally do) use online mapping etc..

Having to ask the way, stopping to unfold the map, has always been part of the fun for me.

And has lead to all sorts of other opportunities, information, and generosity

A very kind Spanish cyclist gentleman explained to me how he used airbuds and satnav to help him find his way, when I asked him best route to ......

I semi aped surprise at such marvellous technology as if I'd never encountered the like..

But if I had air buds (is that what they're called?) I'd never had got to practice my bad Spanish on him...😇

Imo you don't need technology to find cold beer and or decent food, just keep your eyes peeled, or ask a local .

The need for good refreshment, is fairly universally understood.

Top Bottom