Camping or glamping - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No showers or hot water where we go (and very few people). So we take our own, high flow rate 12 volt pump connected to a shower head, and a bucket of hot water, job done.

A bucket of hot water, and a scoop to rinse off was my only 'shower' for years.

I take a I litre plastic pot, and a microfiber cloth when backpacking / bike packing away from 'civilisation'.

Heat some water on the stove, and you can have a very serviceable wash, of all the important bits with a relatively small amount of effort.

houblon

Heat some water on the stove, and you can have a very serviceable wash, of all the important bits...

That's the important bits taken care of. For the less essential parts of the body, I like to arrange myself on a neighbour's windscreen and ask him to operate the screen wash.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's the important bits taken care of. For the less essential parts of the body, I like to arrange myself on a neighbour's windscreen and ask him to operate the screen wash.

I would say 'pics or it didn't happen'

But on second thoughts..

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Although I still keep my camping style fairly 'basic', even at 67, the one thing I do miss from 'back then' is being able to build, light and cook on a wood fire instead of now being obliged to use a stove of one sort or another. :blush: Gave a modest sense of achievement when the fire got going. ^_^

Guilty of all camping offences. Over 35 years my friends and I camped on a farm once owned by Beatrix Potter. A view of the Langdale Pikes if you walked a few yards up the knoll we pitched on.
No bogs, only tap water was in a barn 1/2 mile away. It wasn't a camp site, it was a farm with camping for the very very lucky.
I used to put a Persian rug in my cosmos tent, allegedly 5+ person, one person with comforts I would say, double length sheepskin on top of the rug. Left the sleeping bag in the car and used a very large goose down quilt.
Cognac and whisky decanters in a wooden box with cut crystal glasses, tumbler and balloon.
Gas fridges, we left a big cast iron barbecue in the gorse bushes, too dirty and big for the motors.
We took air rifles, catapults, pistols, bicycles, a chainsaw.
If 6 of us went we took 6 tents, we took an army mess tent in the later years for cooking and idling when the weather was crap.
For all of that the bogs was ones chosen place somewhere on the old metal mine spoil tips across a ravine.
Washed and shaved in a freezing the year round beck.
Also done the hardcore cycle touring with no tent, goretex fitted bivi bag for the sleeping bag and a 12mm thick very old Karrimat.
Woods, over a wall, behind a gate, on a council football field.
In workman's huts and railway maintenance buildings, stable buildings complete with farting horses and once under an upturned rowing boat.
I mentioned elsewhere about packing a Canon F1 camera and three lenses when I toured as a young man, not ever in my remaining years will such nonsense happen again. I'll use the saving in weight to carry more fine liquor.
Oh and I truly loath large campsites, they are the devil's work.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The old F-1, she were a brick. As was the Nikon F-2, and the Miranda Sensomat. I liked those cameras, they were super durable, and waist level finders available. Digital cameras lightened the load considerably. As did my Kiev rangefinder camera, TBH.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh and I truly loath large campsites, they are the devil's work.
Anyone watching?
https://www.channel5.com/show/happy-campers-the-caravan-park/
Unmissable :ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I'll have to watch it.

Our site has a 'club' - AKA Phoenix Nights - it really is - real time warp. Will have to take the lads in when we next go MTB'ing. My mum and dad popped in for a change one Friday, and some old folks (my parent's aren't young) said - 'that's our place'. Thing is, when my folks are down at the van, my dad pops in the club for a pint during the day, so he is probably more regular than those who have 'their place' in the club on a Friday.

The pub puts on kids entertainers during the season in the family room, and the club puts on bingo and singers for the oldies. The pub and club are open to anyone as they are on the road outside the park, but we get quite a lot coming from Presthaven (massive site) as the beers are far more reasonable.

Returned here after a search on seeing the somewhat sad johnny vegas glamping thing (tho i like vegas).
Glamping is i can't help but think a communist invention.
I well remember in communist prague coming across a couple who said they were staying in a beer barrel.
I set off on the tram the next day, in the outskirts went into a humble looking restaurant bar, thought i maybe had the wrong place, wandered out the back door and there was a large garden with spaced large beer barrels on mounts. Door and a bed either side.
So the communists invented the pod in the mid 80s.
I took a photo, still have the prints and negs, sold the pic to the daily trade publicans newspaper. The publican.
Little to nowt new under the sun.

Top Bottom