Camping or glamping - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

houblon

As a kid my dad would take us wild camping in North Wales. In the evenings he'd quite happily take us to the nearest campsite to use the showers. Then on to a pub somewhere we could sit outside.
Sounds a lot like my dad. Did he also read 'trespassers will be prosecuted" as "interesting stuff t'other side of this gate"?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Yurts, campervans and caravans are not camping really.
Camping is a term reserved for tents, the freezing cold and the pouring rain in muddy fields situated in the arse end of nowhere.
I would rather never go away again than have to resort to camping, I think its horrible.

houblon

Mountain biking is a term reserved for the freezing cold and the pouring rain in muddy fields situated in the arse end of nowhere.
I would rather never cycling again than have to resort to mountain biking, I think its horrible.

Rather like camping:laugh:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
last time I camped was on a woodland "greenfield" site. Hammock, tarp, and a small campfire. No facilities at all except a water stand pipe. Lovely stuff.

houblon

last time I camped was on a woodland "greenfield" site. Hammock, tarp, and a small campfire. No facilities at all except a water stand pipe. Lovely stuff.
Hammock? Tarp? Fire? Standpipe?
Luxury.
When I was your age we had a bed of bracken, a fertiliser sack and gathered round a cigarette for heat. Water we got from filtering voles' urine through a teabag.
Mind you, we could ride at 42km/hr on nowt but voles' urine and cowpats.

Had
I had an August bank holiday weekend in a Shepherd's hut on a farm in the lake district a few years ago. It was a very last minute thing and we got lucky. The farm already had a some holiday cottages and the daughter had bought this shepherd's hut as a project. We were it's first guests and because of that it was really cheap. It was lovely but I wouldn't pay the going rate for one. She has a few now and they are permanently booked up
Had the shepherd flown off for a mini break?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I looked at yurts last summer. The cost of two nights was the equivalent of a week in a self catering cottage in same area. Definitely overpriced.

It can seem expensive.

I have a few freinds who run yurt 'campsites' they seem popular though.

You could argue they're reducing pressure on cottage rentals.

And thereby the price of housing locally.
But that's a whole n'other problem.

I do know a few people who've lived in yurts year round - because they can't afford to rent or buy 'bricks and mortar' locally.

Yurts, campervans and caravans are not camping really.
Camping is a term reserved for tents, the freezing cold and the pouring rain in muddy fields situated in the arse end of nowhere.
I would rather never go away again than have to resort to camping, I think its horrible.

In which case you're doing it all wrong :laugh:

No actually you're right..

It's terrible best stay at home :okay:

As a kid my dad would take us wild camping in North Wales. In the evenings he'd quite happily take us to the nearest campsite to use the showers. Then on to a pub somewhere we could sit outside.

I think that's why they started putting key codes on shower blocks..

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Camping is ace. Children love it, I took my son a couple of times a year since he was three, from about five I took a friend of his aswell and they all loved it. I remember taking one lad, aged 10, from a wealthy family, they had holiday homes all over the world, skiers etc and we went off and had a few days with bikes in North Wales (possibly damp) and when I returned him he rushed up to his mum saying "mum, mum, I've just had the best holiday EVER!"
Another highlight of the year for me was taking the cub scouts camping on the annual trip. In reality we were only about ten miles from where they all lived, but they thought it was a different country. I suspect for some of them it's the only time in their lives that they'll go camping, which makes me both happy and sad.
One thing I've missed in lockdown is going camping (on my own nowadays).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Camping is ace. Children love it, I took my son a couple of times a year since he was three, from about five I took a friend of his aswell and they all loved it. I remember taking one lad, aged 10, from a wealthy family, they had holiday homes all over the world, skiers etc and we went off and had a few days with bikes in North Wales (possibly damp) and when I returned him he rushed up to his mum saying "mum, mum, I've just had the best holiday EVER!"
Another highlight of the year for me was taking the cub scouts camping on the annual trip. In reality we were only about ten miles from where they all lived, but they thought it was a different country. I suspect for some of them it's the only time in their lives that they'll go camping, which makes me both happy and sad.
One thing I've missed in lockdown is going camping (on my own nowadays).

I don't think I even stayed in a hotel til my mid twenties.

My family nearly always camped.
Or Campervan, and tented.

I think a few times when I was a kid on soggy camping holidays in Wales I vowed if I ever had kids I'd take them to holiday parks or whatever.

No prizes for guessing what I 'actually' did when I had kids.

They both had their first wildcamping experiences at 3 mnths old, (babies are so portable!) and camping was mostly how we took holidays when they were older.

Yes they moaned a bit "why can't we go to centreparcs ya de ya"

Now they manage their own holidays..

Yup you guessed it..

They go camping 🏕️

Julia9054

Guru
I have no objection to children on campsites but please wait until they are old enough to follow instructions (age 3 or 4) unless you are wild camping and nowhere near other people. Spent 4 very wearing days on a campsite on the Atlantic coast in France a couple of years ago next to a tent containing an over tired 2 year old out of its routine that screamed the place down day and night whilst it’s adults ate, drank and completely ignored it.

Big John

Guru
Camped as a kid when I was in the boys brigade. Got the bug. The wife and I have been camping since 1976 and are still at it (camping, that is!). We've had a few hotel holidays abroad and enjoyed those too but camping, surprisingly, is still our holiday of choice even if it is in the 'arse end of nowhere' 😂

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have no objection to children on campsites but please wait until they are old enough to follow instructions (age 3 or 4) unless you are wild camping and nowhere near other people. Spent 4 very wearing days on a campsite on the Atlantic coast in France a couple of years ago next to a tent containing an over tired 2 year old out of its routine that screamed the place down day and night whilst it’s adults ate, drank and completely ignored it.

That's just poor parenting though isn't it.

Poor kid, poor neighbours who had to listen to it.

Julia9054

Guru
That's just poor parenting though isn't it.

Poor kid, poor neighbours who had to listen to it.
Well, yes - in that case - however it is unreasonable to expect toddlers not to have tantrums and therefore the considerate thing to do is not to inflict them on other people until they have grown out of this stage.

Top Bottom