Camping or glamping - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not just tents. I have been looking for a trailer tent for myself. They all seem to state sleeps 8 or something when I know what I want is for one person and simple to erect. Caravans and motorhomes have also got bigger in general. I am always amused by the advertiser stating how many births.:rolleyes:

How many births.. :smile:

As in mobile midwifery unit :wacko:??

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Coincidentally, I just had an email from a friend who is in Texas which included this...

"It's spring break here now so we're being invaded with tourists who are prepared to spend $1000 + food +entertainment+ petrol for a weekend stay in 1 bedroom hastily built cute hovels at the side of the main road. Talk about more money than brains. There are also campsites with tiny tents set up, no electricity or water for $70 a night with those plastic 1 person toilets (no flush just a bucket) called 'glamping' (glamorous camping! ha)"

:whistle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Coincidentally, I just had an email from a friend who is in Texas which included this...

"It's spring break here now so we're being invaded with tourists who are prepared to spend $1000 + food +entertainment+ petrol for a weekend stay in 1 bedroom hastily built cute hovels at the side of the main road. Talk about more money than brains. There are also campsites with tiny tents set up, no electricity or water for $70 a night with those plastic 1 person toilets (no flush just a bucket) called 'glamping' (glamorous camping! ha)"

:whistle:

Yup, it's surprising how much folks will pay to come park on yr grass.

Although $70!!

Sounds a bit steep.

Right now there's rather handily a trend for preferring fewer facilities, not more.

It might come to that yet :rolleyes:

Julia9054

Guru
Upgraded our tent about 3 years ago. I prefer one that's designed for a couple more people than the number sleeping in it - so I can spread out bit. It's inflatable - brilliant!
Best thing about it is it has a black lining so it stays dark when the sun comes up. I will generally chuck a sail and ropes in the car in case I need extra shade and my hammock because once you have a hammock you wonder what you did without one!
Probably way too much stuff for the purists here but I am generally living in it for about 3 weeks.

DRHysted

Guru
When on holiday I want to be away from the maddening crowd, but I also want to sleep well and spend my days in comfort. At present I use a folding camper which has 2 fixed double beds, seating area, hot & cold water, toilet, oven, fridge, and toilet. The unit takes an hour to set up and the awning another hour.
I’m considering downgrading to a caravan in the next couple of years to reduce the set up time as the travelling time is about 10 to 12 hours.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I started with a tiny single skin canvas tent then got married and moved on to a Black’s Good Companions which we used also when we had 2 small children. Eventually went to a frame tent followed by a tiny hardboard caravan which was replaced by two further bigger ones. Onwards to camper vans followed by motorhomes. Now working my way back down again tho’ used small tents for solo trips but now need more comfort in old age so possibly a small trailer tent as the car carries my trike.

I suppose the word "camping" has a broad meaning these days.To some if means under canvas (nylon tase days) to others in means being in a tin tent, for us our tin tent has an engine but to me it's all camping, just different versions. We camp 30-40 nights a year as we go most weekends once the season starts, we also go in Winter from time to time. We certainly take a lot of gear (usually 7 bikes) but we are set up so that we can be ready to go in under 1hr and once we arrive we are set up in 15mins. I don't think it matters if you camp light or heavy, only that you're out there and you're enjoying yourself. We often lend tools and fix things for other people when we're camping as we are lucky to be well equipped, it's all part of enjoying an outdoor life:okay:

icowden

Veteran
is it just me that's noticed how much campers have been 'conned' into buying all those wee 'extras' to make a weekend under canvas more 'enjoyable'

It just depends on the type of camper you are. I camped with the Cubs and then I've camped at LARP events with various degrees of tentage available (one memorable year, my friend insisted we take his tent, only to find when we got there that the previous person he had lent it to had put it away wet and it had been entirely destroyed by mould - I slept under the stars)

However, then I got married. I have since camped many times with my better half. She however is of the opinion that camping should involve a comfortable bed, a carpeted living room in case it rains, ample shelter for outside cooking, stove, etc etc. Plus the campsite must be of good quality and have excellent shower and toilet facilities. Much more of a glamp than a camp.

It's still fun though, and in many ways it's a lot easier on the kids (especially since they were little).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't camp: having done it in the Scouts as a teenager that was enough. Sorry if it seems snooty but I work hard, don't have many vices and will stay in a B&B / self-catering if I have to but not camping.
Completely agree, also did it as summer holidays as a kid as it was all we could afford, but time away is too precious now to camp, a B&B and a real bed is much better option.

Julia9054

Guru
I usually camp in France not the UK. The weather is better and French campsites are spacious and better set out. Since France is looking unlikely this year, I have been looking at self catering in the UK. The prices are shocking so I expect I'll be attempting UK camping for the first time in ages

Top Bottom