Camping with bikes... how to lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
We are going camping to a couple of locations in the next week and a bit. We have our car with roof bars and cycle carriers which lock the bikes in place, the bars are locked to the car and I intend to use another lock to lock it all together. But....

...We have a big tent with a separate area which is large enough to put the two bikes in for the night. What would be the safer option?

jags

Guru
i would say lock them both together in the tent can't really do much more than that.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I guess it depends where you are going.I ended up just locking my bike to the nearest solid item like the fence or a tree on my recent trip to Cornwall because the sites i stayed in were in the middle of nowhere and free of scumbags sniffing round.
I managed during feed stops to sit in windows to keep an eye on the kit but again most times it was in scum free areas so no real threat.

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I think that given the locations we are planning on going, we will probably sleep with our bikes in the separate part of the tent locked to each other. I mean the bikes, not us... although it does sound fun eh Helly? :wacko:

Jmetz

When we went away we just found the nearest fence and used two gold standard Dlocks and two cable locks to lock the two bikes (frames and each wheel) together and to the fence....no problems whatsoever in any of the 6 sites.

Helly79

AndyCarolan said:
I think that given the locations we are planning on going, we will probably sleep with our bikes in the separate part of the tent locked to each other. I mean the bikes, not us... although it does sound fun eh Helly? :wacko:

ermmm right where did I put my fluffy handcuffs:laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
https://www.cyclechat.net/

Given the huge number of bikes stolen at the National MTN Championships recently at Margam Park near Port Talbot where most were camping one tip which is fairly useful and cheap is to incorporate a rape alarm and fishing line around you bike to something solid. So if your bike is moved and this alarm goes off it is flippin' loud.

Top Bottom