Camping - Your hint's and tips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Legendary Member
One day I want a camping experience where I can sleep well. New bigger tent for next year. One you can stand up in.
 

Jameshow

Guru
We had a big tent and sleep was still at the whim of the weather, other people, the birds and so on. After camping through Storm Francis we never used a tent again and upgraded to a caravan.

That was my parents in the October 87 hurricane!
I slept well last week a good tent really helps I forgot my pillow (used a DIY stuff sack and clothes!)so my back ached tbh. 😥🤣
 

simongt

Guru
Location
Norwich
One day I want a camping experience where I can sleep well. New bigger tent for next year. One you can stand up in.
Used a Litchfield Hornet ( looks like a giant green slug - ! ) for many years until I decided that at 65, I needed a wee bit more room so I invested in a Vango Halo 3 person tent.
Dome shaped, easy pitch, flysheet first of course, with plenty of room for me and I can comfortably sit up. With the addition of a tarp to increase the covered area for cooking and sitting watching the rain when it happens, it suits me very well. :okay:
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Air Fryer when camping 😮 Camping Jim, but not as we know it.

Keeps the boss happy. I'd slum it a bit more.
 
was getting ready to put away the rope, cord & lines I loaned to our son for his camping tarps. but they weren't dry & smelled a bit. I washed them including the bag they were in. now they are air drying
rope cord and line drying.jpg

did a search about the topic & came back with some interesting info

Dealing with musty, moldy ropes, guy lines, and utility cords is a common byproduct of camping in the rain. Because synthetic ropes (like nylon or polyester) trap moisture between their braided fibers, they quickly become breeding grounds for mildew if packed away damp.
To eliminate the smell and kill the mold without damaging the rope fibers, soak them in a mixture of warm water and baking soda or an enzyme cleaner, then air-dry them completely away from direct heat. Never use harsh bleach on structural or utility ropes, as it can chemically degrade the fibers and cause them to snap under tension

& found out about enzyme cleaners

Option B: Enzyme Cleaners (Best for severe mold/mildew)
If the musty smell resists normal washing, use a specialized outdoor enzyme cleaner like GEAR AID Revivex Odor Eliminator (formerly Mirazyme).
    • Mix the enzyme cleaner in a bucket of water according to the package ratios.
    • Soak the ropes for 10 to 15 minutes to let the microbes consume the organic odor-causing bacteria.
    • Do not rinse: Remove the ropes directly from the solution and hang them up. The enzymes continue working as the gear dries.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom