can a bkool trainer run zwift.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
hi there,

just got access to a bkool smart pro 2. I've used bkool's training software and don't really helpful or fun. So my question is can a bkool trainer run zwift? or do bkool make it hard to impossible to use their trainer with any other training software?

thanks in advance

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I think a lot of the splitters came to Zwift with a Smart Pro ... And then moved on to more accurate trainers. I certainly did, I got a Neo after I was thoroughly embarrassed by the performance in a race when I was gifted Bkools Magic Fairy Dust!!

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
hi there,

just got access to a bkool smart pro 2. I've used bkool's training software and don't really helpful or fun. So my question is can a bkool trainer run zwift? or do bkool make it hard to impossible to use their trainer with any other training software?

thanks in advance
Hi. Yes you should be able to use it on Zwift. I started with the older bkool classic around 4 or 5 years ago and moved to Zwift after my bkool subscription ended. I do recall having to do a settings change in the bkool software to make the Ant signal compatible with Zwift but that might be no longer an issue. This post HERE explains a bit of how it's done. Good luck.

As others have said; you need to enable 'ant+ fe-c' via the Bkool software (although they have released a new app since I did it and you may be able to do it through there) - the resistance changes with the gradient in Zwift, it works in 'workout' (ERG) mode - however, it does appear to be horribly inaccurate, I have a power meter as well so use that to report power (and Zwift still controls the resistance of the trainer). When I use my head unit to record the power from the trainer and Zwift to record the power from my power meter (Quarq DZero), the Bkool is overreading by something like 15-20% (enough that if I believed it I should be racing with the pros...)

I have another appointment with their support dept next Monday to see if they can improve things remotely - I'm reluctant to give up and replace it though as it wasn't exactly cheap...

CXRAndy

Guru
A quirk of the Bkool Pro, which helps it work more reliably. Unplug the power after you have fully logged into Zwift. It seems to reset the trainer

choddo

A quirk of the Bkool Pro, which helps it work more reliably. Unplug the power after you have fully logged into Zwift. It seems to reset the trainer
Unplug and replug? After it’s already connected?

fwiw, I had all sorts of ant+ signal problems with zwift (although better on one laptop than another) but a long usb extender helped. Bluetooth was always fine but no smart resistance / ERG support with zwift over bluetooth.

as for over-reading, I think mine did the opposite. Riding with people I know I can match IRL, I was slower than them - especially in the last 9 months. Having just switched to a wahoo kickr core, I’m getting significantly higher power readings.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Bkool Pro 2 should be updated via the phone app to latest firmware, and ANT+FE-C will be enabled automatically.
Older Pros would need to run firmware 3.10 or later to be updated to support Bluetooth, hence if never updated, you can’t connect to it from a phone/tablet.
ANT+FE-C was enabled via the BKOOL Indoor Simulator (BSIM) program on Mac/PC. This functionality was last available in BSIM 3.5x (The screenshot in @IrishAl‘s link is version 2.x) Current version is 5.xx. Updating an older Pro hence requires the older BSIM and a few ninja tricks to prevent it from auto-updating BSIM. :smile:

Zwift only supports BKOOL trainers via ANT+FE-C, as Bkool trainers use a proprietary protocol, and Zwift/BKOOL never had any real interest in making it work. Enabling Bluetooth on a BKOOL Pro hence only means it works with BSIM on iPad etc. :sad:

BKOOL trainers (very) rarely report correct watts, both because being cheap and poor design and lots of other variables. They report too much, too little or somewhat correct watts if all the variables stay the same. They rarely do! :smile:

Last edited:

choddo

Bkool Pro 2 should be updated via the phone app to latest firmware, and ANT+FE-C will be enabled automatically.
Older Pros would need to run firmware 3.10 or later to be updated to support Bluetooth, hence if never updated, you can’t connect to it from a phone/tablet.
ANT+FE-C was enabled via the BKOOL Indoor Simulator (BSIM) program on Mac/PC. This functionality was last available in BSIM 3.5x (The screenshot in @IrishAl‘s link is version 2.x) Current version is 5.xx. Updating an older Pro hence requires the older BSIM and a few ninja tricks to prevent it from auto-updating BSIM. :smile:

Zwift only supports BKOOL trainers via ANT+FE-C, as Bkool trainers use a proprietary protocol, and Zwift/BKOOL never had any real interest in making it work. Enabling Bluetooth on a BKOOL Pro hence only means it works with BSIM on iPad etc. :sad:

BKOOL trainers (very) rarely report correct watts, both because being cheap and poor design and lots of other variables. They report too much, too little or somewhat correct watts if all the variables stay the same. They rarely do! :smile:
Yeah I had been through all the FEC fun and all the updates, beta software to fix the bug where the FEC enable didn’t appear back in early 2018, the bkool toolkit app etc. It’s been quite a journey. I’m leaning towards assuming it was reading low (because that seems ideal :blush:) - I’ve also asked for advice on that bkool team thread in case I can improve it for my friend, otherwise I suspect it’s heading for the recycling centre.

Top Bottom