can a ebike with no pedals on the road in georgia usa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
This is mainly a UK / Europe focussed cycling forum albeit with a few beloved American (and other) members, so knowledge of GA's scooter law might be thin on the ground. Googling will turn up better results I feel.
Spending seemingly half my life in Atlanta it does appear from widespread scooter use there that the laws are far, far more permissive, that's regarding sidewalk and road use. We can't use e bikes without pedals here in the UK for instance, that would be classed as a moped which would require licence, insurance, helmet etc.
Best to ask your local DMV or City police I'd think.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

thats where i was conffused i wasnt sure if it even is a bike. sadly its the only one in my budget which is 500 bucks my longest round trip is 10 miles with hills .

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Does it have crank arms? Thinking you could just jam some sticks in the threads and pretend they're peddles...

OP
OP
W

windy7777

no crank arms sadly. i found another bike i can afford a ugly swagtron. but i will only use it 100 miles a month

CanucksTraveller

Can you post a link to the e-bike you're thinking of? I'm having trouble picturing an e-bike with no pedals.

I seem to remember you were looking for a bike for shopping last year and that you're in a hilly area. Is it perhaps an e-bike with a hand throttle that has pedals but doesn't necessarily require you to pedal? If so it sounds like a class 2 e-bike under US law, and is allowed to be ridden on roads in Georgia:
https://evelo.com/blogs/ebike-laws/...kes are allowed to,electric bikes may be used.

D

Deleted member 26715

I thought you guys could do anything you wanted in Georgia, although I suppose it depends where exactly you are in the State, I loved Savannah when we visited it.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

i think it depends if you was born here lol. i was not a few months ago i was walking acroos bridge to go to grocery store. i was stoped and asked why i was on the bridge. she then told me im not allowed there lol

CanucksTraveller

Well from my limited research it looks like those are indeed class 2 e-bikes and you can use them on the road in your state, though I'd check locally.
Not good for shopping though, and they have a very limited range. And I'm not sure they'll take on steep hills with no pedal assistance.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

my budget is super low the next ine with decent reviews is dang near 500 bucks. but i bet your right i should have peddles. it would be nice to have one that can do 5 miles round trip which can get me to walmart grocery store and publix .there still is no sidewalks here. when i walk im in kudzu and uncut grass . but ar least tgey cut it once. it was waist height. i truly was worried id pass out and no one would see me. but now im feeling better since they got my thyroid in check

Drago

Legendary Member
Is there an ebike power limit in the US/your state? Here its 250W, and that isnt really sufficient to do the job on its own - all but the most unfit, injured or disabled rider could outpace that without breaking into a sweat. Great for a bit of assistance, but unsuiable for providing the sole means of motive power.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

ty everyone i went with the swagtron e5 im kind of excited no more walking .this one has peddles . i lost the abilty to ride up hills with no help so im hoping it will help get my self up hills

CXRAndy

Guru
Is there an ebike power limit in the US/your state? Here its 250W, and that isnt really sufficient to do the job on its own - all but the most unfit, injured or disabled rider could outpace that without breaking into a sweat. Great for a bit of assistance, but unsuiable for providing the sole means of motive power.

Most states are a sensible 750W and some are 1000W

Top Bottom