Can accident compensation be reduced if you don't wear a helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Helmets and solicitors? That's torn it!

They have attempted this in the past unsuccessfully

It is simply the odious nature of these companies to find an excuse to weasel out of their obligations

The cyclists defence fund has successfully set ptecedents

Reactions: mjr

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think you are correct. I believe there was one case but the initial judgement of contributory negligence was overturned on appeal. I'll see if I can dig out the reference.
Only if your slow WiFi connection lets you, obvs....

Pretty much, if you don't fight it, they'll try to reduce the pay out, if you fight it in court their balls shrink, and they don't try to reduce the settlement. There's no one size fits all though, and some folk have had different experiences of both scenarios.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not quite the same. In law there is the concept of "contributory negligence" which is what I assume the solicitor was banging on about. You need to take reasonable steps to ensure your safety. Retrofitting airbags to a car is obviously a different amount of reasonableness to wearing a helmet.
Forget airbags!!
123519-dcf09e675cc337db09e7e37b543dfc52.jpg

Reactions: mjr

Drago

Legendary Member
Been surfing manufactures websites, neither Bell, Met, Uvex or Giro are claiming their products prefect the wearer from injury in a vehicular impact. In fact, not one claims to offer injury protection at all, nut that's another story.

This being the case, an insurer is going to have trouble proving that any brand of cycle helmet would have reduced or eliminated any such injury.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Except as I said the solicitor was saying it is reasonable because it is in the Highway Code, which is also often used to show that a drivers actions were unreasonable/careless even if not specifically illegal.
I thought your Highway Code didn't mandate the wearing of helmets?

Top Bottom