Can anyone give me a reason not to buy Magicshine lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a new MJ-838 version, which looks more robust and has the new waterproof battery - although has only low and high beam (which TBH is enough) - DX have it in and it's a $20 premium.

I have two rear MJ-818's on order (currently on a plane from HK). As for fronts I bought Hope 1's - two of them infact, and have had them 18 months.

I can't see any reason not to buy a magicshine really. The UK 'seller' marks them up a bit, but that will be inport duty and tax.

siadwell

Guru
Now the interesting bit is that Gutowska is the feminine version of the surname Gutowski, and there is a review on the Magicshine site of a saddle by Chris Gutowski........ which suggests that he is involved in the company, and is putting reviews of products on his own site. Possibly. Does that raise a question about how genuine the other reviews are.?

Something odd going on - will let you know if they do reply to my email, if not, has anyone got any comments about how genuine the site is?

Jay

According to whois search:

Registrant:
Bonita Gutowski

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
26 Hunsbury Close
Northampton
NN4 9UE
United Kingdom

A quick google for "Bonita Gutowski" shows she is indeed the hubby of Chris, who did JOGLE in May this year (http://www.blogger.c...607131901610209).

Looks to me like they've just started up a little business out of their spare bedroom and haven't got the phone number sorted yet, and are "enhancing" their site with reviews from family and friends.

BSRU

A Human Being
According to whois search:

Registrant:
Bonita Gutowski

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
26 Hunsbury Close
Northampton
NN4 9UE
United Kingdom

A quick google for "Bonita Gutowski" shows she is indeed the hubby of Chris, who did JOGLE in May this year (http://www.blogger.c...607131901610209).

Looks to me like they've just started up a little business out of their spare bedroom and haven't got the phone number sorted yet, and are "enhancing" their site with reviews from family and friends.

When I have been in contact by email I have received replies from Bonita, she seems very nice.

jay clock

Massive member
what I thought..... or at least hoped!

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
[QUOTE 1190193"]
Get some ayups. You'll not regret it.
[/quote]

Yes, yes I would.

£100 is pushing it as it is - Think of my poor undernourished, shoeless children :smile:

Besides which, announcing I'd just spent £180 on a set of lights would result in my gonads becoming ear-rings

nightoff

I got my Magicshine 2 days ago after an 8 day wait. Not bad considering some poeple have to wait upto 5 weeks.

I went for the bar mount version with the UK charger from Deal Extreme which works out at about £50 depending on the exchange rate my credit card company uses.

This light is quite impressive in the flesh. It was smaller than I expected and slightly better quality. The finish isn't perfect, especially around the silver bezel but it isn't too bad either. Before sticking it on charge I opened it up to check for swarf and use of thermal compound. My light was swarf free inside and I could see thermal compound had been used. :biggrin:

I unscrewed the small bolt holding the lamp to the mount bracket and was a little dissappointed to see the screw was very short with only 2 or 3 threads holding it on. I must remind myself to get a slightly longer screw.

With everything assembled and charged, I stuck it on the bike. The mount works very well and feels solid. I fitted the battery pack to the stem using the velcro battery bag. The cables are fairly long for a stem mount but wrapping the cable round the handle bars 3 times tidied everything up nicely.

Watch out for the light flashing on in full power when you plug it on. It's very bright.

In use, the beam from this is very nice with a good hot spot with impressive throw and a reasonable flood to illuminate your peripheral vision.
I think the light is better suited for off road use as the spill is bright and could dazzle oncoming cars. To prevent this the choice is to either point the light low or cover the top half of the optic. I am going to stick a reflective semicircle to the top of the optic as I bought this for commuting.

Positives

Nicely packaged
Overall good quality
Very bright (compared to my 240 lumen ultrafire wf-606a)
Good beam pattern for singletrack
Simple effective mount system
Reasonable battery life
Charger and battery included
Comparetively inexpensive
Usable Hi Mid Low modes

Negatives

Bracket connecting screw a little short
Runs a little hot especially when not moving
Beam pattern not so good for commuting
Flash modes are rubbish - Should have had a slower strobe and no SOS IMHO
Battery indicator light stays permenantly on when connected to battery
Battery pack could do with better waterproofing - I will be using self amalgamating tape to seal

If this light lasts me for a few years then it would be amazing value for money given the light output. For 50 bangers it's worth a punt.

BSRU

A Human Being
[QUOTE 1190196"]
You've obviously never been given the secret code then. I'll share it with you now, but guard it with your life-

"Those?? Oh, no love. I've had them for ages!"
[/quote]

Works for me.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes, yes I would.

£100 is pushing it as it is - Think of my poor undernourished, shoeless children :smile:

Besides which, announcing I'd just spent £180 on a set of lights would result in my gonads becoming ear-rings

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36018

Looks the same to me and works out at £80 i think

Personally i would not spend that much but unfortunately my wife and kid demand food and even clothes, for Christmas i am asking for bike spare parts:bicycle:

BSRU

A Human Being
I got my Magicshine 2 days ago after an 8 day wait. Not bad considering some poeple have to wait upto 5 weeks.

I went for the bar mount version with the UK charger from Deal Extreme which works out at about £50 depending on the exchange rate my credit card company uses.

This light is quite impressive in the flesh. It was smaller than I expected and slightly better quality. The finish isn't perfect, especially around the silver bezel but it isn't too bad either. Before sticking it on charge I opened it up to check for swarf and use of thermal compound. My light was swarf free inside and I could see thermal compound had been used. :biggrin:

I unscrewed the small bolt holding the lamp to the mount bracket and was a little dissappointed to see the screw was very short with only 2 or 3 threads holding it on. I must remind myself to get a slightly longer screw.

With everything assembled and charged, I stuck it on the bike. The mount works very well and feels solid. I fitted the battery pack to the stem using the velcro battery bag. The cables are fairly long for a stem mount but wrapping the cable round the handle bars 3 times tidied everything up nicely.

Watch out for the light flashing on in full power when you plug it on. It's very bright.

In use, the beam from this is very nice with a good hot spot with impressive throw and a reasonable flood to illuminate your peripheral vision.
I think the light is better suited for off road use as the spill is bright and could dazzle oncoming cars. To prevent this the choice is to either point the light low or cover the top half of the optic. I am going to stick a reflective semicircle to the top of the optic as I bought this for commuting.

Positives

Nicely packaged
Overall good quality
Very bright (compared to my 240 lumen ultrafire wf-606a)
Good beam pattern for singletrack
Simple effective mount system
Reasonable battery life
Charger and battery included
Comparetively inexpensive
Usable Hi Mid Low modes

Negatives

Bracket connecting screw a little short
Runs a little hot especially when not moving
Beam pattern not so good for commuting
Flash modes are rubbish - Should have had a slower strobe and no SOS IMHO
Battery indicator light stays permenantly on when connected to battery
Battery pack could do with better waterproofing - I will be using self amalgamating tape to seal

If this light lasts me for a few years then it would be amazing value for money given the light output. For 50 bangers it's worth a punt.

You must be writing about the 900 version, although lots of the things you mention are applicable to the 1400 version. You must also remember there has been lots of development by Magicshine and stuff from them is always the latest version, such as now they have a fully waterproof battery.

Top Bottom