Can anyone give me a reason not to buy Magicshine lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Pretty much as above.

I'm looking for some new front lights. I want a set suitable for commuting and some off-road messing about. Can't justify spending much more than £100 (wife has these strange ideas about feeding and clothing the children).

The below lights (or the cheaper single lamp on the same site) look to be the dogs....

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/front...6-1400-lumens.php?item=30&category=1&p=1&so=0

but I'm slightly worried that if it looks too good to be true it probably is.
Should I risk it, or go the safe option and buy a Hope Vision 1 instead.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Don't know that one but a Hope Vision 1 is a great light and there's enough left over to give the wife £30 for groceries!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't know that one but a Hope Vision 1 is a great light and there's enough left over to give the wife £30 for groceries!

£30 doesn't go far in M&S food halls.
whistling.gif

Panter

Just call me Chris...
The Magicshine is generally getting good reviews everywhere (I don't have one myself)
For the money, you won't beat the light output, it will leave the Hope for dead. You do, of course though, have to balance that agianst the quality of the Hope and their faultless customer service.

But, IMO (Please note that it is MY opinion, I've no doubt others will argue shortly ;) ) a single Hope 1 is insufficent for off-roading at night. Two is fine, one isn't quite enough.

siadwell

Guru
But, IMO (Please note that it is MY opinion, I've no doubt others will argue shortly ;) ) a single Hope 1 is insufficent for off-roading at night. Two is fine, one isn't quite enough.

Completely agree.

I was out with mine the other night on the road and found I was outrunning it at about 20mph. The problem is that the beam is quite focussed, so you can have it illuminating the distance, or just in front of you, but not both.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have two Magicshine 1400's, I broke the first one completely my fault, so bought a second then managed to fix the broken one. They are excellent, very very bright, on unlit roads they give me full confidence. I also use them as day light running lights as well, significantly reduced the number of SMIDSY's. Only this morning as I struggled up a long drag, some cyclist coming the other way slowed down and said "ohh nice lights", in an American accent, he might have been American or Canadian. For £100 they are a bargain, the UK customer service is excellent as well.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

That is a very fair comment. Hope 1's are great for tarmac but can imagine off road then 2 will be needed.

BSRU

A Human Being
Completely agree.

I was out with mine the other night on the road and found I was outrunning it at about 20mph. The problem is that the beam is quite focussed, so you can have it illuminating the distance, or just in front of you, but not both.

The magicshine 1400 does both, a large light for distance and two small lights for just in front.

jay clock

Massive member
The lights look great. However I am concerned about the company. I tried the 0845 number and it is not allocated but is for sale. I then emailed them at the address on the site and got this back....

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. The following addresses failed:

<bonitagutowska@usa.net>

SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:

host mxpool01.netaddress.usa.net[165.212.8.32]:

550 <bonitagutowska@usa.net>... User account not activated

Now the interesting bit is that Gutowska is the feminine version of the surname Gutowski, and there is a review on the Magicshine site of a saddle by Chris Gutowski........ which suggests that he is involved in the company, and is putting reviews of products on his own site. Possibly. Does that raise a question about how genuine the other reviews are.?

Something odd going on - will let you know if they do reply to my email, if not, has anyone got any comments about how genuine the site is?

Jay

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I was going to say Hope 1 again... but having seen the beasts in question I'm envious! :tongue:

No idea about off roading at night... did the York - Cleethorpes FNRttC with my Hope 1 and it was great... turning it off made a huge difference to the amount of light around from everyones lights in the vicinity (or maybe I just needed to convince myself of that!). :biggrin:

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I cant speak for the version you linked but Ive got the version MJ-808 and used it through all the dark nights last christmas, didnt let me down and had plenty of light to see even on unlit roads.

Top Bottom