Can anyone give me a reason not to buy Magicshine lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have been riding off road with a version of the 900 lumen Magicshine for about a year. It's good. It doesn't do full-on off road stuff on its own, as I strongly suspect it's not really a full 900 lumens. It's OK for tracks etc and at a push you can ride anywhere with it, but I back it up with a helmet mounted spot (Blackburns). I ordered the 1400 lumen Magicshine with the Mickey Mouse ears a week ago from DX, to supplement the off road set up. As soon as it arrives I'll post a review.

BlueTowser

This is a very interesting thread! I am the the Chris G and yes, I'm married to Bonita and it's no secret. All this detective work - why don't you just ask the questions to us directly?

To answer the main points

1) Bonita sells the lights because I purchased one while practising for my JOGLE attempt. To coin an old phrase " I liked it so much...we decided to sell them". I also bought the Rido saddle for my ride and it was absolutely superb as you'll see if you read my blog. Thats why we now stock and sell them because it's a fantastic product. We will always promote and sell really good products - isn't that you're all looking for?

2) Yes it's a genuine site and a darned site better than many. All the reviews are genuine and if you still don't believe me, have a look at Swindon MTB site and see their review. It would have been so easy for me to enter my review under a pseudonym but I didn't because mine was a genuine trial (861 miles over 8 days) and unlike authors on these forums, I'm quite prepared to stand up and be counted.

3) We understand customers have a choice. Thats how we differentiate ourselves by offering products with Uk or Euro plugs, thats why we post out orders same day if received before 4 pm and thats why we never let customers down in respect of returns. Our customers don't wait 6 weeks for every item, don't have import VAT duty to pay and do receive answers to their queries. There's a refreshing change!

3) The comment about the back bedroom made us chuckle. It's certainly not operated from a bedroom but neither do we rent/own expensive plush premises. Now if that would make you more inclined to deal with us, fantastic! However, it would have to be paid for so which do you prefer, plush premises or cheap lights? However we are a genuine, registered and honest business and open to scrutiny

If you have any queries about our relationship, what we sell, reviews etc then please feel free to contact us through the site. The alternative is for the amateur sleuths to return to their detective work in their back bedrooms!

According to whois search:

Registrant:
Bonita Gutowski

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
26 Hunsbury Close
Northampton
NN4 9UE
United Kingdom

A quick google for "Bonita Gutowski" shows she is indeed the hubby of Chris, who did JOGLE in May this year (http://www.blogger.c...607131901610209).

Looks to me like they've just started up a little business out of their spare bedroom and haven't got the phone number sorted yet, and are "enhancing" their site with reviews from family and friends.

siadwell

Guru
If you have any queries about our relationship, what we sell, reviews etc then please feel free to contact us through the site. The alternative is for the amateur sleuths to return to their detective work in their back bedrooms!

Check post #13.

I do my detective work from the dining table.;)

BlueTowser

I can assure you the number is allocated to us, it should not be for sale and judging from the fact Bonita receives loads of calls daily, it certainly works although in busy times the answer service is used. Have you checkeds you've used the right number? Try 0845 5193677.

There is a problem forwarding business e-mails to Bonita's private account at the moment. This will be rectified, hopefully on Monday.

If you still have queries, please give us a call . Keep watching the site for new stuff!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
is their any import charges to pay, may negate a cheap deal. We have been caught out before?!

Straight from DX support

How are Tax and Customs duties handled?
Because DX sends products from Hong Kong (a free port), there is no sales tax or duties imposed by the Hong Kong government. Customers do not have to pay any sales tax or export duties when they purchase from DX.

Statistically, well less than 1% percentage of all DX orders have ever got opened by the Customs in customers' countries. If the package is checked by their country's customs office when the item arrives in their country, however, customers are responsible for import duties, tariffs, and taxes.

TBH i have only ordered sub £15 stuff myself.

Based on $80 cost if they opened it there would be no import tax but £9.20 vat

calculated on this site ...

http://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/125988-import-duty-rate-for-led-bike-lights-is-3.7/

Broadside

Guru
The Spokeshirts light is just a repackaged Magicshine MJ-836, same P7 LED just a slightly different reflector to the MJ-808. It's not newer, just slightly different, you can see everything that Magicshine manufacture on this link http://magicshine.en.made-in-china.com/product-group/LomEXUQumtWg/Bicycle-Lights-catalog-1.html

I've just bought the MJ-808 and tried it out this evening. I have previously borrowed a Hope 1 and Exposure Joystick from friends for night road rides. I was just about to buy the latest Exposure Joystick for £160 but then heard about the Magicshine. It really is incredible for the money, absolutely stunningly bright, I would say it is twice or three times better than the Joystick or the Hope and it's not just because I bought one. I ummed and ah'd for a while before buying it and I am so pleased with it. The beam pattern does illuminate everything within 100yds so you need to switch it to low if you're on a busy road. I do all my night road rides on country lanes so can just keep it on full all the time as it is quiet where I go.

The Magicshine is no more expensive than the Hope1 when you consider it comes with batteries and a charger. The Joystick is a lovely small unit which I also really like but the Magicshine is now making lots of lights look stupidly expensive.

I have also dealt with Bonita and found her to be very helpful and professional, however because they were out of stock I bought mine from http://brightbikelights.com/ , Trevor Jackson who runs this separate business is also great to deal with.

jay clock

Massive member
Just to be clear, they did get my email and did reply. It was the fact that I got an undeliverable report that was odd.... also I will try the number again tomorrow but it did have a message saying it was for sale!

Chris has told me they are out of stock but will have more in in about 10-11 days

Jay

nightoff

This is the Magicshine I bought here.
There are other places you can buy it from but I found this to be the cheapest. There was nothing extra to pay and shipping was included in the price.
The unit ships from Hong Kong hence the longish delivery times.
I have my eye on theMagicshine rear light to complete my set up but the wife will no doubt vito that, especially as I already have 4 rear LED lights:whistle:

Cubist

Still wavin'
My new 1400 lumen Magicshine arrived tonight. It is a thing of great beauty and wonder, and will have its first outing Thursday night illuminating the byeways of Calderdale. I'll rig up the Muvi and see whether the footage is of any benefit to others in decision making.

First impressions are good, it's nowhere near as big as it looks on DX, and the neoprene covered battery pack is wondrous.

I used the old magicshine on the commuter this morning on strobe as it was foggy, and attracted disparaging comments from four drivers, so it was doing its job then :evil:

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Well, I've pretty much decided to put my hand in my pocket and get a set :smile:

They're showing as out of stock at the moment, but I emailed them last night, and they're expecting stock in, in the next week or so.
TBH the fact that I got a response to an email within about an hour on a weeknight has convinced me to go through MagicShine rather than the *possibly* cheaper direct import...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well, I've pretty much decided to put my hand in my pocket and get a set :smile:

They're showing as out of stock at the moment, but I emailed them last night, and they're expecting stock in, in the next week or so.
TBH the fact that I got a response to an email within about an hour on a weeknight has convinced me to go through MagicShine rather than the *possibly* cheaper direct import...
Good luck , i hope its a great light.Unfortunately i always have to shop around for the cheapest possible deal, heck my wife gets annoyed if i have to buy brake pads as she thinks everything on a bike should last forever ,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OMG........OMG..............my rear Magicshines have arrived from HK today - two weeks after ordering, not bad, posted sat, in house Tues.

Review to follow - just phoned home...."What have you been buying now"......... "erm those are my new rear lights........"

Ohh plenty of time to play tonight........

Top Bottom