Can anyone id this beed of dog - urgent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I gather that microchipping is very common these days, especially of dogs with pretensions - so the warden will probably have a scanner and be able to identify the owner easily.

Microchipping is only £15 or so full price and vets and charities regularly offer free chipping sessions as a means of reducing strays and the pressure placed on rescues of untraceable dogs.

and scabby rescues that the owners happen to like and not wish to lose.

Chipping does not automatically update if the dog changes hands though, the new owner has to request to take over that registration (at a nominal fee) and the registration holder has to consent to relinquishing the registration or the registration company (PetLog is the main one) cannot make the change. One way or another it doesn't always happen and occasionally you'll find a dog with a couple of chips if the prior owner/rescue has been awkward.

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Microchipping is only £15 or so full price and vets and charities regularly offer free chipping sessions as a means of reducing strays and the pressure placed on rescues of untraceable dogs.

and scabby rescues that the owners happen to like and not wish to lose.
Oh, I know. My point was that the owners of fashionable and "bred" dogs are (on balance) very likely to get it done - whereas some of the owners of scabby mongrels are rather less responsible.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
From April 2016, microchipping is to be mandatory for all pet dogs.
I didn't know that - but I don't have a great deal to do with the bit of my company that is most interested in pet microchipping.

And I know I am continuing to be an arse, but why was it "urgent" to know the breed?

Pick up phone, tell person "I have a dog that I found when out for a walk, it looks like a sheep (exchange laughs), and doesn't have any tags so I can't just phone the owner...I know, fireworks, dogs, such a shame...anyway, enough of this as I have a bloke in my house wanting to watch X Factor (I think he's tagged) can you send someone round please to take the dog away?"

And chase up the dog wardens. She's a pup and a beautiful dog but, well, they have different policies about re homing and keeping. Put up some notices in the locale as well.

Top Bottom