Can anyone offer me any advice on this building matter please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
My joiner has said that he was called back to a renovation he did last year. The plumber found a leak on push fit connections going into the underfloor heating system( the expansion and contraction of the slab weakened the fitting. This wasn't part of the original works-so no blaming the plumber. He has said the water has damaged lots of the renovation work.

Estimated £12K to remove new bathroom, re-tile, replace stud walling bases plate(black mould) plasterboards-water has wicked up the boards, and re instate all fittings. I personally would never use plasterboard or green moisture resistant board in future. Either something like Knauf Aquapanel or Abacus Elements board. Totally water proof
Plasterboard is not a suitable substrate for tiling in wet areas like a shower enclosure(m/resistant is only marginally better). As you quite rightly suggest a tile backer board for wet areas is best, tanking coat over plasterboard a lowly second. Over 30 years I have replaced many bathrooms for customers with plasterboard failure being the root cause. Nowadays I regularly inspect new builds & plasterboard (now moisture resistant) is still the element that fails.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think I've got it sorted now, I've got a plumber coming one day to take out the bath/toilet, the next day the joist/s and floor are getting done and the following day toilet back in and new bath. I'm having a go at tiling the floor myself, following on from previous tiling and decorating success.

newts

Veteran
The Rubi Cyclone clips work very well & break off easily.

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-16 at 11.19.19.jpeg

Top Bottom