Can anyone recommend a decent saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
markharry66

markharry66

Über Member
In the past I have tried Gel saddles nice idea but do not work in practice also tried gel covers never really seem to find a decent saddle every bike I have had the saddle has always been the weak point

Hicky

Guru
B17 ATM, but I tend to get along with most saddles.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'd say that you check your bike fit and if it's set up ok then persevere with your current saddle. There really is not much in it when it comes to saddles and it's recommended that you allow at least a dozen rides for your backside to get used to the new shape.

All four of my bikes have different saddles and they all took time to acclimatise. But now i can spend hours in all of them.

Ps do you use cream down below. If you don't might be worth considering to reduce chafing.

+1 (apart from the cream bit, I've never tried it!).

3 different bikes, 3 different saddles. Charge spoon on the MTB; Specialized Avatar gel on the Secteur road bike, and the standard Specialized saddle that came with the Tricross. Also have a couple of Brooks for summer use as they don't like the rain (like it doesn't rain in summer in Ayrshire :rolleyes:). All are comfortable for all day rides, but it did take a while for them to become so!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
To provide some balance, I currently have 2 Charge Spoons and I don't like them but by playing around with the adjustment have made them tolerable for rides up to about 30-40 miles. (I'm currently looking at alternatives).

I'd suggest having a tinker with the adjustment before spending money on something new as saddles are such a personal thing. In my experience, quite small adjustments in the rake and fore-aft positioning can make the difference between being comfortable and not.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Triban saddle has an exaggerated "cup" shape, which won't suit everybody especially if the height, fore and aft adjustment or angle are not correct.

Charge Spoon for my son's Triban, he likes it and Charge Knife for my roadie, I like it.

Manonabike

Über Member
To provide some balance, I currently have 2 Charge Spoons and I don't like them but by playing around with the adjustment have made them tolerable for rides up to about 30-40 miles. (I'm currently looking at alternatives).

I'd suggest having a tinker with the adjustment before spending money on something new as saddles are such a personal thing. In my experience, quite small adjustments in the rake and fore-aft positioning can make the difference between being comfortable and not.

I also could not get alone with the Charge Spoon for longer than 20 miles. People here where talking wonderful things about the saddle that I went and bought one to test. Used it very little and then I sold it.

Brooks are for me, all year round. I always keep a plastic bag under the saddle, just held by the rails that way water doesn't get to the leather.

jay clock

Massive member
Agreed that it is horses for courses. In addition to my several Spoons I also have Brooks B17 on which I did 2400km over a month recently and it worked fine. But it is worth trying saddles until you find something you like.

Trail Child

I find saddles are such an individual choice. What is recommended by one person may not be something that would work for you. I would find a LBS that let's you buy a saddle, try it out for a time, then exchange it if it's not for you.

lulubel

Über Member
never really seem to find a decent saddle every bike I have had the saddle has always been the weak point

This suggests you might be a "weird shape". (Not intended as an insult because I'm the same.). Most women have quite wide sit bones, so women's bikes come with saddles to suit the majority, but once I started researching saddle fit, I discovered my sit bones are narrow, bought a saddle to suit and have been happy and comfortable ever since.

Get your sit bones measured and find out if you're the most common shape or not. If you're not, getting a less popular saddle that's the right width for you will probably solve the problem.

karl61

i go with manonabike, i bought a "spoon" also after all the glorifying reports, didn't do much for me. after 20ish miles was no different than the one i swapped it for.now i use one with a cut out in the middle.as madona says "oh get into the groove baby", works for me fine now, "butt" as everyone else says we are all different.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
i go with manonabike, i bought a "spoon" also after all the glorifying reports, didn't do much for me. after 20ish miles was no different than the one i swapped it for.now i use one with a cut out in the middle.as madona says "oh get into the groove baby", works for me fine now, "butt" as everyone else says we are all different.
I'm not.

Top Bottom