Can anyone recommend a pannier/rack for a Giant Defy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22722
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 22722

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting a pannier/rack soon as I don't fancy carrying a rucksack when I start commuting in a few weeks time. However, I'm not sure exactly what to buy.

I have a Giant Defy 1 and I know that Giant offer a couple of panniers that are compatible with my bike. Should I just go for one of these or are there better ones out there that are compatible straight off the shelf?

I also need some sort of recommendations as to what pannier bags to purchase. On a daily basis I would need to be carrying the following items:

Lunchbox
Flask
Trousers
Shirt
Underwear/socks
Shoes
Towel
Small washbag
Waterproof Jacket (Altura Night Vision)
Along with the usual items that I carry, inner tube, pump, repair kit.

Unfortunately I do not have locker / storage facilities at work so cannot store anything at work without risking having them swiped.

The panniers would obviously need to be waterproof and of fairly decent quality. They would also need to be easy to remove as I'd be removing these from the bike once I got to work.

I quite like the look of the Ortlieb pannier bags but having not seen these in person I'm not sure if the would be a bit overkill for the amount of kit that I need to carry. I don't fancy having just the one side bag as this may imbalance me, so I'd be looking for either a set of bags or a single rack bag that sat behind the saddle above the rear wheel.

My budget would be around £200 for the bags and pannier.

Can anyone give me any recommendations please?

Cheers.

sabian92

Über Member
The weight thing is something that you get used to. I commute during the summer with only 1 pannier (less clothes) and I've never had a problem.

Ortlieb do pretty bombproof panniers and a lot of touring/commuting cyclists swear by them but they are very expensive (so a pain if they're nicked at work) and they don't have dividers inside.

BrazingSaddles

Über Member
I have a Tubus 'Fly' on my commuter - very sleek & light weight but also strong. Highly recommend it. Never had a problem using only one pannier, even when carting full lever-arch files. Panniers: Pacific Outdoor are amazeballs! I have a thing for pockets/zipped sections (a woman thing, perhaps?!) and are also great for touring (go on, you know you want to...). They have small to massive sizes available.
One thing I will suggest is, as you may be carrying them around with you, to get a pair that have shoulder straps.

defy-one

I have a Decathlon 25L roll top pannier for my commute. 1 B I G compartment with a small top pocket for phone keys etc. Love it and only £30.00!

Crankarm

Guru
Not much to add except AVOID Blackburn racks as crap welding.

Go for the best panniers you can afford. Ortlieb Rollers, Vaude Aquas (mine) or Altura Orkneys all about £100 a pair. My preference for rack is Madison Summit but Topeak, Tortec and Tubus are good. Tubus are very expensive though in comparison. Surely there is a secure area at your work or some one who is willing to have your pannier in the corner of their office? Security if you work for a large organisation? Just a thought.

HTH.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Defy 1 has no lugs for pannier rack which may affect your options

Ahh, hope that's not the case as I've already gone and ordered a rack and set of bags now. I'm sure i'd read in a number of reviews of the Defy 1 (2012 model) that it was capable of taking a rack - see the following (last 2 sentences) http://www.bicyclehq.com.au/bikes/road-bike/giant-defy/giant-defy-1-2012-road-bike/prod_1211.html

To be honest i'm not even sure how racks are mounted to bikes so am not sure what to look for on my bike to make sure it's got the relevant bits. I have ordered the giant seat collar with rack mount as I am guessing this will be needed. I was kinda hoping it would all look self explanatory once I had the rack in my hands.

In the end I went with the Tubus Cargo Rack and a set of Ortlieb Classic Rear pannier bags. I'm just hoping that I can get the Tubus rack to fit now.

sabian92

Über Member
You could be able to mount a rack but from the seat post - not from lugs.

Depends - if not then you could always get a a new seat post clamp with lugs on it (I have one) but you need the lugs at the bottom next to the hub as well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

You could be able to mount a rack but from the seat post - not from lugs.

Depends - if not then you could always get a a new seat post clamp with lugs on it (I have one) but you need the lugs at the bottom next to the hub as well.

I've just had a quick look at my bike and I am guessing that the lugs at the bottom that you are referring to is the threaded hole just above the gear cable in the included photo. I've purchased a separate seat collar which also has holes to mount a rack to. So with both of these I should be good to go, no?

Sorry for my complete lack of knowledge and terminology if i've got it wrong.

2012-09-01%2016.10.45.jpg

sabian92

Über Member
Looks like they're the right ones. I'm currently mounting my rack and panniers like this - my bike has lugs to mount them but in a really stupid place so you can't actually use the bloody things.

vickster

Legendary Member
You need lugs at the top of the struts as well as the bottom - Defy 2 has them, Defy 1 not, unfortunately. Yep seat collar should work

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Thanks for the advice and the recommendations everyone. I'll be sure to let you know how I get on and post a pic once fitted. Assuming everything goes to plan :smile:

Gez73

Veteran
Looks like they're the right ones. I'm currently mounting my rack and panniers like this - my bike has lugs to mount them but in a really stupid place so you can't actually use the bloody things.

You could still use those mounts on the frame. The supports will have to be angled to meet those lugs but they are ok once done. Most supports end up angled down to the mounts. Not heard about seat clamp mounts before but obviously a great idea. Nice bike too!!

Top Bottom