Can anyone recommend a pannier/rack for a Giant Defy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22722
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Dew drop (2) 300.jpg

That's mine a little arc to meet the frame but dead easy to achieve. Probably could not have used a seat post mount anyway as wanted to use a seat bag and the bend allows this ideally.

sabian92

Über Member
You could still use those mounts on the frame. The supports will have to be angled to meet those lugs but they are ok once done. Most supports end up angled down to the mounts. Not heard about seat clamp mounts before but obviously a great idea. Nice bike too!!

I tried but I couldn't get it to go without it feeling like it was going to break, but now it works great. It just means I have it mounted slightly differently but the end result is still the same. I've got it solid now - I had to go to B&Q to get some nuts/bolts to attach the arms to the rack properly as the standard ones were crap. A whole £1.38 it is for 8 (I only used 4) ^_^.

Cheers - it's a decent bike, the wheels are crap though. Saving up for some nice handbuilts :biggrin:

I'd like to use a saddlebag as well for puncture repair stuff but I have a light that I can't mount anywhere else. Typical as the rack has screwholes for a bracket mount but I don't know what bracket fits

Gez73

Veteran
Try looking at Topeak . I use their Rack and Rack bag and they do several attachments that can be used with their racks. Generally the fixing holes should be standard to take most light/reflector attachments whatever the rack you're using. I have an light on both the Rack and Bag, works handy. Check Evans too as they have very favourable returns terms should stuff not be suitable. I'd not be without a Saddlebag dead useful and tidy too.

sabian92

Über Member
I have a tortec rack but i'm not sure which mounting bracket to buy. I'll post a photo up when I next get it out (likely Wednesday).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Ok, got the rack & pannier bags today and thought i'd let you all see a photo of them fitted to the bike. Took me a little while to get everything feeling just right & secure but think I managed it in the end. Will take them for a test drive over the weekend in preparation for my first ever commute by bike on Monday morning.

I went with the Tubus Cargo Classic rack in the end and even though it came with only half of the bolts, nuts and washers missing I managed to find some bits & pieces lying around. Luckily all the important bits were present.
Panniers.JPG

Pannier%20Rack.JPG

Gez73

Veteran
Very nice tidy job, well done. Out of curiosity what spoke reflectors are you using? I have two packs of the Lidl ones and was planning on putting them on two bikes on half the spokes on each wheel. Gez

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Gez,

I am also using the Lidl ones. What you see in my picture is one packs worth.

Gez73

Veteran
Great stuff. I've got two bikes with 32 spoke wheels so just short of a pack for each then when I get round to it. Been off the bike this week so will apply them for next weeks commute. Good luck with your new set-up, you'll not regret the rack/bag combination. So much better than rucksacks. Gez

defy-one

So weird seeing my Defy 1 in commuter mode! LoL
Let us know how she fairs. I will probably turn mine into a commuter .... But a good few years down the line

Sam mould

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to Alexis

Your "complete lack of knowledge and terminology" has answered all the questions that I was looking to answer as I am getting the same bike shortly.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

It's a fantastic bike i'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Not sure if you are getting the 2012 or 2013 model but having the bike white is not the ideal colour to use in winter unless you like cleaning it A LOT.

The rack that I went for has been rock solid. The pannier bags are great quality and are 100% waterproof. I only use 1 of the pair though so I have a spare. In hindsight i'd have probably gone for a bag with a small pocket on the outside somewhere.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Try looking at Topeak . I use their Rack and Rack bag and they do several attachments that can be used with their racks. Generally the fixing holes should be standard to take most light/reflector attachments whatever the rack you're using. I have an light on both the Rack and Bag, works handy. Check Evans too as they have very favourable returns terms should stuff not be suitable. I'd not be without a Saddlebag dead useful and tidy too.

+1 I use Topeak trunk bag, when your not using the panniers there folded away neatly leaving just the trunk bag behind seatpost, which helps with aero dynamics. You'll need to by the waterproof cover for riding in torrential rain. But the bag is pretty waterproof as it is for light rain. You can buy the compatible rack with an easy clip in and out mechanism, ideal if your taking it off regularly.

Sam mould

Getting the 2013 in green. I won't need the rack all the time as I intend to commute Tues, Wed & Thurs. On Monday I will take 4 shirts and bring my dirty laundry home on a Friday. The rake is for when I try and get out touring. long way off but a couple of us are considering lands end to John O'Grotes summer 2014.

Can't wait to get my bike. I have been doing research since June but have to wait until January to take advantage of my employers cycle to work scheme.

Kluens

Regular
Firstly, apologies for resurrecting an old thread! I'm currently looking into fitting a rack to my Defy 1, this thread has been very useful!

One thing I couldn't make out from my read through was: the seat post mount for the rack, which did you use?

Top Bottom