Can anyone recommend a pannier/rack for a Giant Defy?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22722
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bovine

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd jut add my experience - bought Giant Defy 1, 2014 + Giant specific seat clamp with pannier rack eyelets.

Tried Avenir AMD227 Pannier Rack but it came without any screws to secure it and wasn't the best fit.
Then bought Tortec Tour Ultralite Rear Rack in black. Felt lighter (but I didn't check) and was a better fit, though I swapped the arms around and the adjustable bolts I now tighten from the inside (which is a bit awkward) but I now have great wheel clearance and am hopeful I'll get my giant specific mudguards on. The Tortec came with plenty of screws, but beware, they are sandwiched in the cardboard and the first unit I picked off the shelf at Evans didn't have any screws in there!

The Tortec fits well, no modification other than putting it on a bit backwards, but it's on solid, makes no noise and looks good in black - it pretty much fades away. I tried a Roswheel rear rack bag but it was awful - couldn't get it secure and was forever flopping over. 13L it may be, but it is small beside the pannier I've gone for - the Altura Night Vision 20 Pannier.

The Wiggle review is harsh at 2*, I've looked at a few and I like this because: mine has the internal zip pocket at the top, it has super easy quick release system, so it can come off the bag really quickly. It has a stiff back, so no chance of it rubbing on the wheel. Mounted as far back as possible on the Tortec, I do not hit the bag with my heel when peddling. The strap eyelets may be weak and the internal bolts may rub, but I've bought it for commuting with a change of clothes and a towel, which should easily fit, may even get a pair of shoes in too. It's worth noting that the rigid back is attached with bolts too and not rivets like the slightly cheap Altura Rolltop 20 (and probably the Arc 20). The attaching mechanism is also not as good IMHO on those other versions, and the Rolltop at least, does not have the zip pocket.

So many would perhaps call heresy putting a pannier on a Defy 1, but it can be done and it looks find and rides as if it weren't there (though I've yet to have the Pannier full loaded).

Hope that helps someone else...

Cheers
Bovine

Top Bottom