Can anyone settle an argument for me regarding Bill Nighy please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Going back to Bill Nighy; yeah, he's no Gary Oldman. But I do credit him with some actual "acting" skill, in that he can at least do different tones. He's done wacky prog-rock has-been, and sombre political father-figure type convincingly enough; but in no way does he transform into a different character.

(Yes, I admit I'm a fan!)

I love "Love actually" actually !
I too thought it pretty decent, though I know it was fashionable in some quarters to sneer at it.
If I recall correctly it has several parallel plots and there is a (to me) great scene where someone from one plot opens the door to find someone from one of the other plots on their doorstep - then they leave. Might seem to be a coincidence too far, but to me that is real life, particularly in London where you can get the oddest overlaps even amongst milliions of people.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So quick as a flash I say, 'oh hello I'm Ricky Gervais, and in my latest film I'll be playing Ricky Gervais, the same as I do in everything I've been in.'
So quick as a flash I say, 'oh hello I'm Roger Moore, and in my latest film I'll be playing Roger Moore, the same as I do in everything I've been in.'

Clint Eastwood's another. (And I say that as a fan of his films.)

IaninSheffield

Veteran
How many of the following fall into the 'Bill Nighy' category?

20201216_092609.jpg

And how many of these?

20201216_092641.jpg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
But back to Love Actually ... what an absolute turd of a movie. I used to think it was harmless cheery nonsense, but recently I sat and watched 10 minutes and was reminded of the astonishing Kris Marshall sub-plot:
https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/love-actually-is-the-worst#slide-3

You've gotta have some nerve to film that and put it in cinemas.

From that link:
Lesson: sexy women have no brains or feelings so are ideal for passing around like chocolates.

But that's not what Curtis is saying, only the most humourless, literal minded personality vacuum of an over-analyser could have read that intent into that scene and written that line.

There are many threads running through Love Actually, some have a serious message, some don't. Kris Marshall's thread is a comedy one, and it's poking fun at men like him, in particular the old blokey trope belief of "my accent would make me irresitible in the US". We know that it doesn't and this scene lampoons how ridiculous the concept is.

You're not meant to take it literally as that reviewer did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom