Can anyone settle an argument for me regarding Bill Nighy please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I could be wrong (usually am, but) this is a common case of what is known as a character actor.

There are certain actors, Bill Nighy definately being one, who always play a certain role. They are exceptionally good at it, but it is difficult to see because they always seem to play the same character. Producers and Directors love them because they always put in a sparkling performance, help to lift a film / TV program, and bring in the viewers / punters. Their agent loves them because it is easy to get them parts - if you want a certain sort of character, their name is always at the top of the list. Which is why we see these actors in so many films or shows. The actor themselves, although they would love to play different characters, accept that their best career choice is to accept their character role, and just concentrate on playing it as well as they possibly can.

However they themselves are not the character they play. And if you ever see a poor character actor, you will notice the gulf in class between the two. And if you are even luckier to see them in something where they are not playing their character, e.g. a theatre production, then you will be blown away by how they seem to be someone completely different.

Some actors, thinking in particular of Hugh Grant, Hugh Laurie and David Jason in particular, manage to play a great variety of roles and excel in doing so. But this takes a lot of effort and dedication, and presumably a good chunk of luck too.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Mrs Stephec is watching Love Actually, and as I enter the room he's on screen.

So quick as a flash I say, '
oh hello I'm Bill Nighy, and in my latest film I'll be playing Bill Nighy, the same as I do in everything I've been in.'

Am I right?

I don't know why the first bit's in bold, and I'm not going back to find out. 😄

Jason Statham has carved out a very successful career playing....Jason Statham . No matter what movie, whichever character, its Jason Statham.

And I have noticed that Sean 'one doesn't walk into Mordor' Bean has a Yorkshire accent in everything. That radio telescope he fell off in Goldeneye fell apart the other week. He must've done it some damage:whistle:.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
And I have noticed that Sean 'one doesn't walk into Mordor' Bean has a Yorkshire accent in everything. That radio telescope he fell off in Goldeneye fell apart the other week. He must've done it some damage:whistle:.

Yeah but, in the Yorkshire Tea advert he's outstanding, his portrayal of a...... err yeah actually, good point. 😄

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
He put in a good turn in The Undoing too.

Bill Nighy did a good job in the Pirates of the Caribbean where he was arguably not Bill Nighy.
Never really fancied watching those films, but I might do if you can promise me that he does a fantastic comedy pirate accent.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Has anyone nominated Julie Walters yet? Now there is someone who plays herself in every single role.

Top Bottom