Can anyone settle an argument for me regarding Bill Nighy please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Mrs Stephec is watching Love Actually, and as I enter the room he's on screen.

So quick as a flash I say, '
oh hello I'm Bill Nighy, and in my latest film I'll be playing Bill Nighy, the same as I do in everything I've been in.'

Am I right?

I don't know why the first bit's in bold, and I'm not going back to find out. 😄
He manages to impersonate Bill Nighy almost to perfection.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How many of the following fall into the 'Bill Nighy' category?

View attachment 563592

And how many of these?

View attachment 563593

Liam Neeson stands out there, not least for his jazzy earrings.

Kris Marshall's thread is a comedy one, and it's poking fun at men like him, in particular the old blokey trope belief of "my accent would make me irresitible in the US".
Oh sure, there's a joke there; but it's a 10 second joke. British single-and-desperate guy walks into american bar, immediately hits it off with US chick who is clearly out of his league. "Hey, are you English? That is SUCH a cute accent!"
Ha-ha.
The End

But Curtis drags it out into this bizarre extended fantasy - with the 3 flatmates and the tiny bed. I didn't see it as a misogynistic crime against all womankind - it was just a fairly feeble joke stretched out into unneccesary Lads-Mag territory for faaar too long.

Still each to his own! :-)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
John Wayne was great in the first alien movie. Hardly recognisable.

It was just the first article google had on the subject!

(to be fair to her, when you read the analysis of the other sub-plots, women characters do come out pretty badly overall ... but I wouldn't dismiss a film purely on that basis. There have been some great films that are just as bad in that respect.; I just don't think Love Actually is a great film!)

4 Weddings was great, a real classic - I could watch that every year. Notting Hill isn't bad either (saved by the Welsh guy). I think the rot started after that for Curtis ...

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Phew! Well, that's a lot of people to categorise, so I'll make a rough guess:
15 & 17?
What do you think?
Poorly phrased question, sorry. I guess I wondered how common it was - many of the actors whose movies I enjoy seem to bring 'themselves' to the parts they play. When I watch Eastwood, Clooney or Jackson, I've a good idea what I'm likely to get and I'm OK with that ... but I am quite shallow in that regard.
Then it struck me that only men had been mentioned and I wondered whether the same effect applied with women actors. Although I have to confess to not knowing all of the women in the list, I thought that most seem to bring a wider range of characterisations. If Jolie, Foster or Kidman are on the cast list, I'm less sure in advance what they're likely to present, other than it's likely to be good.

How many of the following fall into the 'Bill Nighy' category?

View attachment 563592

And how many of these?

View attachment 563593

and this lot

Top Bottom