Can Bank Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
What does one say to the person who (having taken the trouble to sort their cans/glass/plastic/clothing, store and transport them) then proceeds to dump the bag next to the bank and scarper ?

I mean what is the big problem with actually finishing the job by posting through the hole ?

Ours have big signs up that that constitutes fly-tipping - not that it seems to stop people! ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
sheddy said:
What does one say to the person who (having taken the trouble to sort their cans/glass/plastic/clothing, store and transport them) then proceeds to dump the bag next to the bank and scarper ?

I mean what is the big problem with actually finishing the job by posting through the hole ?

OI you, come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maz

Guru
Does anyone take the lids off glass jars etc before dropping them through the hole? I don't, but should I be? Hmmmmm....

Mr Pig

We have four, yes FOUR, wheely bins out the back for different kind of rubbish! Black, blue, brown and green. It's a joke.

We're supposed to wash out jars before putting them in the glass bin. As if. My wife does it but I don't.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Pig said:
We have four, yes FOUR, wheely bins out the back for different kind of rubbish! Black, blue, brown and green. It's a joke.

We're supposed to wash out jars before putting them in the glass bin. As if. My wife does it but I don't.

And you're the sort of person we recycling collectors talk about - usually in fairly unflattering terms. How hard is it to rinse a jar out? Are you too feeble, or too thick?

Why is is a joke? People in many European countries manage to recycle, why do Britons find it so hard? Oh dear, does the poor ickle man have to actually think about his rubbish then? All those extra hours a week he has to spend rinsing out jars...

The round I sometimes help collect on, we wonder the same sort of thing as the OP. Putting out the recycling isn't compulsory here, so people choose to do it, but can't be arsed to wash a tin or bottle out, or sort stuff properly. If you're going to do it, do it right. If you can't be arsed, don't leave half jars of pasta sauce slopping about in the basket to tip all over the person who collects it, put it in the bin for the machine to deal with.

Still there's worse things than pasta sauce. Bleach is entertaining when it runs down your arm...

Arch said:
And you're the sort of person we recycling collectors talk about - usually in fairly unflattering terms. How hard is it to rinse a jar out? Are you too feeble, or too thick?

Why is is a joke? People in many European countries manage to recycle, why do Britons find it so hard? Oh dear, does the poor ickle man have to actually think about his rubbish then? All those extra hours a week he has to spend rinsing out jars...

The round I sometimes help collect on, we wonder the same sort of thing as the OP. Putting out the recycling isn't compulsory here, so people choose to do it, but can't be arsed to wash a tin or bottle out, or sort stuff properly. If you're going to do it, do it right. If you can't be arsed, don't leave half jars of pasta sauce slopping about in the basket to tip all over the person who collects it, put it in the bin for the machine to deal with.

Still there's worse things than pasta sauce. Bleach is entertaining when it runs down your arm...

yuk, cant even stand the smell of bleach, makes me wanna heave, im lucky ive got the woman to deal with that nasty stuff..

i do think that we britons dont exactly embrace recycling, and it is a shame, we have paper and glass boxes, and a brown bin for garden waste, one week the black (normal waste) bin gets collected, the next the others do. it can be a pain waiting 2 weeks for the normal, but it doesnt really mean that anyone has less waste, more that the bins are more compacted in.. we also get through loads of plastic bottles, due to us having a water cooler, and its cheaper to refill from 2l bottles than to buy the 25ltr ones, we give all those to my mum, who takes them to tesco's- to "earn her points"

domtyler

Über Member
Recycling is mainly a waste of time although if you are going to fill your wheelie bin up then it does make for a good overflow.

I do stick anything metal or glass and generally remove lids and rinse quickly. Paper and cardboard is not worth the hassle. Plastic gets shipped over to China and processed by illegally stolen four year old's in industrial chemical baths. Although I heard that most of the time the plastic just gets tipped into the sea. :rolleyes:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
domtyler said:
I do stick anything metal or glass and generally remove lids and rinse quickly. Paper and cardboard is not worth the hassle. Plastic gets shipped over to China and processed by illegally stolen four year old's in industrial chemical baths. Although I heard that most of the time the plastic just gets tipped into the sea. :rolleyes:

Cobblers. That rumour started going round here recently - but the truth is plastic from Devon goes to Southampton to be re-processed.

twowheelsgood

I think there's something cultural about Brits feeling imposed upon when it comes to recycling. I felt a bit put out when I first moved here but it becomes second nature after a while and really I must spend less than 5 minutes a week to do this.

Here all non-recyclable rubbish goes into a pre-paid special black bag. They work out at about £1.20 each - this is about 1/3 of a standard bin-full - so there is an incentive to sort-out as much as possible.

Glass, paper/card , metals and batteries are to be taken to communal recycling facilities (rather like in the UK). what is different is that shops are legally obliged to take back items they sell i.e. you can dump your old telly at Mediamarkt even if you don't buy anything and supermarkets take back PET bottles.

What is surprising after I seperate sort everything out that can be recycled is that it takes about 3 week to fill a single bag! You also learn to compact everything. When I go home, I look on in total horror as my mother and father manage to fill two entire wheelie bins in less than a week. That's mainly down to food packaging.

Saying this, you just know that if we charged per bag, people would simply fly-tip, which is already a huge problem. Depressing really, that's why it's so clean here, sadly us Brits are pretty scummy.

fly tipping is annoying, where we live, our neighbour complained the other week about another house (and we all know who is to blame in this instance) dumping all their crap (old mattress, any old kids toys, garden waste and all manner of other nasties) in our communial refuse area, it had been sitting there for months, and would never get collected (-its not household refuse, so its not their job, and thats fair enough).

anyway, they came and took it away, and we all got sent a letter about not doing it, would be charged in future, no names mentioned.. and now, just over a week later, its full of their crap again- an old tarmac path they dug up, loads of old turf cause they laid new, and kitchen cupboards smashed up!!- it takes the piss, thinking of grassing them cause theyre ignorant anyway, are on dole, yet he works cash in hand, and we dont even think he's registered as living there!- just her!!!!!!!!!- some people are just peanuts....- and they have a car, and a van, so why couldnt this stuff be taken to the dump?????????????????- thats where we take ours, and we dont even drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(rant over now)

Some people are just lazy slobs. Can you shop them to your local council, or keep a note of it cos it could become a nuisance? Given what was in the news earlier this week the council should come round with their spy cameras and undercover operatives and have them bang to rights! ;):evil:

not sure really what to do in all honesty, i generally like to live and let live, dont need to make enemies, prefer friends, but these tw*ts are a joke!- maybe ill give them like another week, in case they intend to move it, but i doubt it...

Top Bottom