Can Bank Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smeggers

Its the plastic milk bottles that get on my tits, they take up the entire kitchen and fill up our pathetic 3 way recycle bin, and for what? A melted blob of recyclable plastic about the size of a 10pence piece.

Bottles and tins take up the dishwasher, lay around the kitchen and generally back up the whole washing system so we have constant squalor in the kitchen. Whenever the misses go out I lob everthing into the proper bin and she comes back and says "oooh youve blitzed the kitchen, thank you" :evil:

<and breathe>

Smeggers

Baggy said:
Cobblers. That rumour started going round here recently - but the truth is plastic from Devon goes to Southampton to be re-processed.
Hmm Southampton is suspiciously one the countrys ports - seen any new islands with lots of seagulls pop up lately? :evil:

Isn't Honk Kong airport built on landfill?

Smeggers

Uncle Mort said:
Why don't you just rinse them out like everyone else? Do you really wash them out in the dishwasher?
Cos baked bean tins and marmalade jars (to name but two pertinent examples) dont really rinse properly do they?

Unles you are suggesting I should only half wash them and have to live with the putrid smell of rotting food as well as the existing aforementioned detrirus?

Smeggers

Uncle Mort said:
Why are you getting so upset? Baked bean times are easy to rinse out, as are most tins, if you do it straight after you've poured the contents out. Admittedly, marmalade would require a bit of hot water. But I'm sure you're not stacking up multiple empties of marmalade jars every day. I find the idea of washing tins and bottles in the dishwasher weird. I don't, and I must say I don't live with the "putrid smell of rotting food" - I just rinse them out. It's not a valid excuse for not recycling is it?
You must live on your own :evil:

Smeggers

Uncle Mort said:
Yes, if you don't count three kids, the missus, the dog, the ferret and the chickens ;)

Darn! Three kids, the missus, the dog and two cats and a frickin kitten (soon to be spit-roast kitten if I get my way).

Bet my house is smaller / I work longer hours / I am lazier (delete as appropriate) than you then?! :evil:

stephenb

Guru
Its the plastic milk bottles that get on my tits, they take up the entire kitchen and fill up our pathetic 3 way recycle bin, and for what? A melted blob of recyclable plastic about the size of a 10pence piece.

put boiled water in 'em, then they squash up nice and flat (empty boiled water out first of course :evil:)

Smeggers

stephenb said:

put boiled water in 'em, then they squash up nice and flat (empty boiled water out first of course :evil:)

So kill the planet by boiling a kettle to create a 10 pence blob of plastic (that probably doesn get re-used anyway and dumped in the sea by the chinese)?!

FFS the worlds gone mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiona N

Veteran
Smeggers said:

Have you considered squashing them flat - take up much less room that way.

Generally I'm disgusted at the pathetic moans of people in the UK about recycling. If the supposedly anarchic Italians can recycle so enthusiastically that they make the Swiss and Germans look like amateurs, why can't the Brits. I mean, the local authorities here collect paper every other week - in Switzerland where I lived, it was about every 3 months so you have to store it for weeks and then bundle it up in an approved manner (with string, not sellotape or plastic bags or it would just be left on your doorstep). Likewise, the council here collects glass and cans every other week; in Switzerland, you were expected to take them to the recycling places yourself along with plastic, cardboard and any other recyclable metal stuff.

Smeggers

Fiona N said:
Have you considered squashing them flat - take up much less room that way.

Generally I'm disgusted at the pathetic moans of people in the UK about recycling. If the supposedly anarchic Italians can recycle so enthusiastically that they make the Swiss and Germans look like amateurs, why can't the Brits. I mean, the local authorities here collect paper every other week - in Switzerland where I lived, it was about every 3 months so you have to store it for weeks and then bundle it up in an approved manner (with string, not sellotape or plastic bags or it would just be left on your doorstep). Likewise, the council here collects glass and cans every other week; in Switzerland, you were expected to take them to the recycling places yourself along with plastic, cardboard and any other recyclable metal stuff.

Are you my wife? :evil:

Ive yet to be convinced about the carbon or financial saving of recycling without substantial subsidy.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
Cos baked bean tins and marmalade jars (to name but two pertinent examples) dont really rinse properly do they?

Unles you are suggesting I should only half wash them and have to live with the putrid smell of rotting food as well as the existing aforementioned detrirus?

You must be really very incompetant if you can't successfully wash out a baked bean tin or a jam jar without resorting to a dishwasher.

Here's how you do it. Empty the can/jar of contents (both beans and marmalade generally go on toast, but not together), put under tap, half fill with water. Put hand or lid over the top, give a bit of shake. Repeat if necessary. For stubborn sticky stuff, water from the hot tap is better - or maybe the dregs from a just-boiled-for-a-cuppa kettle. Or leave to soak in washing up bowl for an hour or so. With a bit of practice, the average 5 year old can master it pretty well.

As for the detritus... I manage to cope with storing a recyling box in my hallway, and everything goes straight in there once clean. I live in a bedsit, so that's one big room with a corner as a kitchen, plus bathroom and a tiny hall. If I can do it, anyone with a house has no excuse whatsoever in terms of space. I rinse things out as I use them, generally while I'm cooking anyway, so if any extra time is involved, it's in the order of a few seconds.

Smeggers

Arch said:
You must be really very incompetant if you can't successfully wash out a baked bean tin or a jam jar without resorting to a dishwasher.

Here's how you do it. Empty the can/jar of contents (both beans and marmalade generally go on toast, but not together), put under tap, half fill with water. Put hand or lid over the top, give a bit of shake. Repeat if necessary. For stubborn sticky stuff, water from the hot tap is better - or maybe the dregs from a just-boiled-for-a-cuppa kettle. Or leave to soak in washing up bowl for an hour or so. With a bit of practice, the average 5 year old can master it pretty well.

As for the detritus... I manage to cope with storing a recyling box in my hallway, and everything goes straight in there once clean. I live in a bedsit, so that's one big room with a corner as a kitchen, plus bathroom and a tiny hall. If I can do it, anyone with a house has no excuse whatsoever in terms of space. I rinse things out as I use them, generally while I'm cooking anyway, so if any extra time is involved, it's in the order of a few seconds.

No disrespect or owt Arch but your a sad old spinster living on your own with nowt else to do ;)

Come walk for a mile in my shoes?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
No disrespect or owt Arch but your a sad old spinster living on your own with nowt else to do ;)

Come walk for a mile in my shoes?

Why? Because then I'll be a mile away, and you'll have no shoes...

I've managed to recycle perfectly well in shared houses of 3 or 4 people or in a couple in the same little flat, and have no doubt I'd do the same with any amount of family, as many of my friends do. If you can't, then maybe you have something to learn about organisation.

Smeggers

Arch said:
Why? Because then I'll be a mile away, and you'll have no shoes...

I've managed to recycle perfectly well in shared houses of 3 or 4 people or in a couple in the same little flat, and have no doubt I'd do the same with any amount of family, as many of my friends do. If you can't, then maybe you have something to learn about organisation.

;)

Your just "give it a proper soak and rinse out argument" is all very well and good, but you can also use the same logic for any pot that should be in a dishwasher?

I'm not saying I dont recycle at all, its just I question the judgement of it. I think mostly its lip service.

At least we can say for sure you are not one of the sort of people who drives to the bottle bank with last nights bottle of Chardonnay whilst keepoing the 4x4 running. :biggrin:

We've got something a bit like this....

1053214127_5be8e743f9.jpg

.... and to be frank, its shite!!!

Top Bottom