Can Bank Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
;)

Your just "give it a proper soak and rinse out argument" is all very well and good, but you can also use the same logic for any pot that should be in a dishwasher?

I'm not saying I dont recycle at all, its just I question the judgement of it. I think mostly its lip service.

At least we can say for sure you are not one of the sort of people who drives to the bottle bank with last nights bottle of Chardonnay whilst keepoing the 4x4 running. :biggrin:

We've got something a bit like this....

1053214127_5be8e743f9.jpg

.... and to be frank, its shite!!!

Everyone I know with a dishwasher still seems to end up doing rinsing and stuff anyway... I guess they have their place for big families. But unless you eat every single meal out of several jars or cans, I can't imagine the stuff to be recycled is going to fill your dishwasher to the exclusion of other stuff is it?

Yes, your bin looks a bit crap I have to say. I have a black plastic basket supplied by the recycling people that lives in my hall for stuff to go straight into and I keep the various stuff separate in carrier bags. Collection is every week (by electric vehicle or pedal trike), although being on my own, as you so kindly pointed out (I prefer widow to spinster BTW, spinster implies I haven't lived at all, and marriage is only a bit of paper) , I can often go a few weeks before it needs putting out. And another benefit is that since my unrecyclable rubbish bin takes so long to fill up, I'm saved the job of emptying it very often...

Smeggers

Arch said:
Everyone I know with a dishwasher still seems to end up doing rinsing and stuff anyway... I guess they have their place for big families. But unless you eat every single meal out of several jars or cans, I can't imagine the stuff to be recycled is going to fill your dishwasher to the exclusion of other stuff is it?

Yes, your bin looks a bit crap I have to say. I have a black plastic basket supplied by the recycling people that lives in my hall for stuff to go straight into and I keep the various stuff separate in carrier bags. Collection is every week (by electric vehicle or pedal trike), although being on my own, as you so kindly pointed out (I prefer widow to spinster BTW, spinster implies I haven't lived at all, and marriage is only a bit of paper) , I can often go a few weeks before it needs putting out. And another benefit is that since my unrecyclable rubbish bin takes so long to fill up, I'm saved the job of emptying it very often...

An evening meal (proper cooking, no packaged stuff) is probably a load and a 1/2 of the dishwasher. Add in the recycling and the various cups and yoghurt pots the kids have neen getting through since they get home from school and you can see how it piles up? Anyway, Its more about the "system" than it is about the individual loads, and yes it is do-able, just takes a little longer whioch you really cant be arsed with after a 10+ hour working (skiving) day.

That shite bin replaced our posh 60 litre stainless bin which got skipped cos its lid bust (go figure), the true waste (OK stuff I should probably compost or turn into sandals ) compartment only holds a carrier bag, so of a weekend day, you can probably count on about 6 loads be trudged out to the wheelie bin.

All the recyclable stuff gets taken out to those sqaure recycle bins we have round here, which then proceeds to get blown round the garden and lids broken etc.

Collection is then by a huge dump truck which crawls along the entire estate at 5mph belching black smoke, whilst the lads run round collecting empty milk bottles which are blowing round the streets. Leaving the place looking a like a Nuke has just hit in their aftermath.

simonali

Guru
My local council refuses to take so much stuff now that I hardly bother with it. Newspapers and bottles are all I put in my box. They won't take food waste, shredded paper, plastic bottles, cardboard, textiles etc anymore, so it all goes in the wheely bin!

I might take some stuff to the recycling centre (which is in another town 7 miles away) if I'm going that way, but I'm not about to make a special trip.

domtyler

Über Member
Don't know about other people but my little one is currently going through a bit of a 'helpful' stage, where she will kindly remove everything from the recycling basket and lay it all out on the kitchen floor for us. Not that keen on her playing around with dangerous baked bean can etc.

domtyler

Über Member
simonali said:
My local council refuses to take so much stuff now that I hardly bother with it. Newspapers and bottles are all I put in my box. They won't take food waste, shredded paper, plastic bottles, cardboard, textiles etc anymore, so it all goes in the wheely bin!

I might take some stuff to the recycling centre (which is in another town 7 miles away) if I'm going that way, but I'm not about to make a special trip.

Mine have a bit of an issue with cardboard so that always go straight in the wheelie bin, but seem pretty good about taking the other stuff. As for taking stuff to the recycling centre! My local one is an hours drive away through heavy London traffic!! ;):angry::biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I suggest you simply need a better bin system. ;) If I only had a bin that held a carrier bag for my non-recyclable waste, then I'd be making more trips too... Which in my case means two flights of stairs, and I'm basically quite lazy, so I don't want to do that more often than I have to.

If you can't be arsed, and say so then that's at least honest. I just get annoyed by people who are basically living very easy lives in comparison with most people in the world, complaining about something as little effort as rinsing out and separating jars and cans and so on, as if it impinges on their lives and human rights. Perhaps they should try fetching their own water every day.

And I agree that councils don't help - while a system is piecemeal and illogical, people will get discouraged. But it can be done, as the Dutch and Germans and Scandinavians have demonstrated, so why not here?

Smeggers

Arch said:
I suggest you simply need a better bin system. ;) If I only had a bin that held a carrier bag for my non-recyclable waste, then I'd be making more trips too... Which in my case means two flights of stairs, and I'm basically quite lazy, so I don't want to do that more often than I have to.

If you can't be arsed, and say so then that's at least honest. I just get annoyed by people who are basically living very easy lives in comparison with most people in the world, complaining about something as little effort as rinsing out and separating jars and cans and so on, as if it impinges on their lives and human rights. Perhaps they should try fetching their own water every day.

And I agree that councils don't help - while a system is piecemeal and illogical, people will get discouraged. But it can be done, as the Dutch and Germans and Scandinavians have demonstrated, so why not here?

Whilst we're on our respective soapboxes, my mate who lives in a rural part of cheshire, nr crewe. Gets a big silver wheelie bin to stick all his plastic, metal and glass into. Now that I could live with.

Sorry re. spinster comment btw - how's about 'crone'? :biggrin:

simonali

Guru
And that's the binmen!

Alan Biles

Fly tipping in Wilts

Arch said:
....both beans and marmalade generally go on toast, but not together.

And whats wrong with beans and marmalade on toast??? A fine Wiltshire delicacy designed to give an energy boost whilst chucking bulging garbage bags of putrification over the neighbour's fence!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
You already do, but I hear they only so far work on Welsh solicitors ;)

Yeah, I'm working up to snaring an English High Court judge. It takes a long time to learn spells properly...

Top Bottom