Can I buy you a Pepsi cap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I've said it before, but just in case anyone missed it: Seb Coe is a cock.

Given that the Monopoly of the Olympic juggernaut has left little to chance, WE shld hardly be surprised that the Police and a specific group of enforcement officers have been given powers to stop you doing this!

We wait to see how it is enforced, but technically you would be liable to arrest under the 2006 “London Olympic Games Act” for the following breach

“Anyone who wears clothes or accessories with commercial messages other than the manufacturers’ who are official sponsors."

PS - As you point out, Seb Coe would also be very, very miffed!
Games boss Sebation Coe warned anyone wearing a Pepsi T-shirt is likely to be booted out because it would upset sponsors Coca-Cola.
And he only said spectators in Nike trainers “could probably” be allowed in although Adidas are also backing the event.
Coe defended the draconian move and said it was to protect corporate sponsors who have paid a fortune to be involved.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I remember someone saying on Mock the Week or something like it, that the terrorists had won the day we had to start taking our shoes off to go through airport security.

Looks like the big Corps have won too....

I'm not generally riled about companies like Coke and MacDs - indeed, I eat and drink their products on occasion - but this really is a step too far. How insecure are they, that they feel threatened by people wearing alternative brands? As if most people can even tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi, or care if they can?

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't like the power the corporate companies think they should be able to have over ordinary people.

Personally it wouldn't affect me as I wouldn't go to the Olympics and I don't wear corporate labels as they don't pay me to advertise their companies.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's a goof job "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!"aren't sponsors, or te security people would have to lick te insides of your sandwiches. Can you take sandwiches?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This isn't the sponsors doing this - it's the IOC. We've had to pass a whole pile of laws just to be allowed to have the games, including this commercial protection, tax exemptions, the lot.

Brazil have done the same for FIFA's World Cup.

If you want a big event, then the country has to bend over backwards just to bid.

I saw my first one of the 3,500 BMWs that have been bought for the Olympics.

Team Singapore were fulfilling the official duty of shopping in Marks and Spencer!

Should I report them for that?

I mean wearing your Olympic tracksuit, getting into an official vehicle with an M&S bag is really rather naughty.

Norm

Can you take sandwiches?
No.

Whilst I despise the legislation, it's only there because other companies, who aren't sponsors, have tried to hijack press coverage by putting large groups into the crowds wearing clothes which promote rival products. I doubt if Coe, or anyone else, would give a toss if one or two turned up in Pepsi shirts but the difficulty is differentiating between personal choice and corporate shenanigans.

We see ourselves as the ones who have been penalised but the reality is that the laws have only been enacted because of corporate hijacking.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
This isn't the sponsors doing this - it's the IOC. We've had to pass a whole pile of laws just to be allowed to have the games, including this commercial protection, tax exemptions, the lot.

Brazil have done the same for FIFA's World Cup.

If you want a big event, then the country has to bend over backwards lie back and spread it's legs just to bid.

Top Bottom