Can I change forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pablo666

Über Member
I have a Trek 7200 Hybrid with rusty telescopic forks, which I always have locked off. Can I replace them with some fixed forks (i.e. not telescopic). If yes, which sort should I look out for?

Ta

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Id think so, as for what to look for, well.....

steerer diameter, steerer length, axle to crown distance, brake fitting, wheel size/tyre clearance, rake possibly...

anything I've missed hopefully someone else will be along to point out - although I've bought and fitted 3 sets of forks, they've all been on road bikes. you'll need to cut the steerer down to size (or get lbs to do if not 100% confident - there are guides on the interweb. Measure measure and measure again before cutting - with a sharp blade and a cut perfectly perpendicular to the steerer.....best find a guide

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Unless you're a competent confident mechanic a decent LBS is probably the best way forwards. Lot's of variables as PatrickPending has outlined.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You should be able to. I changed the front suspension on my Felt Hybrid to fixed. I got the LBS to do it, the fork was slightly different in length so I think they added some spacers on the handlebars to bring it back to the same height. I have noticed no difference in the riding of the bike - my forks were also locked off and completely knackered by the time I got them changed.

Top Bottom