Can I change this new bike to a 1 x system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliShah2020

Hi fellow cyclists,

Need some help please. I'm looking to buy a third bike for my family. The bike we're in love with is a MTB with 2 x system.

Can this be converted easily with a 1 x with a simple swap of the front chainring and removal of the front derailleur please? I'd like to swap the front to a 38T narrow wide chainring for a bit more speed for city usage.

Below are the specs:

Rear derailleur : SHIMANO DEORE RD-M781 XT, 10s SHADOW DESIGN
Front derailleur : SHIMANO Deore 2x10S
Crankset : SHIMANO FCMT500-2 36x26 170mm (XS, S) / 175mm (M, L, XL)
Bottom bracket : SHIMANO included w/cranks
Sprocket : SUNRACE CSMS2 10s 11-36T
Chain : YBN 10s-SPEED
Shifters / Brake levers : SHIMANO DEORE SLM6000 2x10-SPEED

Bike link:
https://shop.lapierrebikes.com/edge-77

Thanks for your time and input. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why donโ€™t you just buy a bike with a x1 chainset? There are plenty about.

D

Deleted member 23692

Yes, you can and it's that easy. I'd recommend Superstar Components chain rings

But (and there is always a but)...
You may need a longer chain if going bigger on the front ring, but you might be lucky if just going a wee bit bigger
You'll loose your bottom end gearing if you stay with that cassette. If you go wide range cassette you'll need a new rear mech and chain
I'd recommend a clutched rear mech to aid chain retention if you're planning on going off road (that's proper off road not canal paths etc)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Why not just switch out the 36t ring for a 38t or a 40t and keep the FD? (NB Longer chain required if current one is correct length.)
SJS Cycles seems to have some options (96mm BCD, 4 bolt).

Sharky

Guru
Your reasoning is flawed. A 38t ring will not give you more speed. The 36t gives an 86" gear and the 38t a 90" gear. The difference is too small to be significant and 86" is big enough to get you well over 25mph.

Tyres and clothing fit will give you more speed.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Hi all,

Sorry I should add some context, but was seeking to keep the post short ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Background:

We bought a 2019 Lapierre MTB back in April which came with an OEM 32T chainring and knobblies. I converted it from a 32T to a 38T chainring and replaced the knobblies with slicks (pics attached). Post upgrades with the new chainring and slicks the bike is super comfortable, rolls very fast, handles sublimely and turns every urban commute into an adventure. While not a road bike, I simply cannot put into words how phenomenal this bike is as an urban commuter. ๐Ÿšดโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŒชโšก

We purchased a second bike for my youngest sons b-day and bought a Boardman MHT 8.6 for my son but it fell short in terms of refinement. Definitely worth paying an extra ยฃ100 for the Lapierre. Now my eldest son also wants a bike. For a third bike we wanted to replicate this tried and tested formula.

I spent two weeks researching and short listing all the other 1 x MTB's for the price point for my son but having ridden my bike, he wants the same Lapierre... Ufortunately, the 2019 Lapierre stock is sold out and the new 2020 Lapierre MTBs come with a 2 x chainring. We would like to replicate a successful tried and tested formula with a bike model that has worked really well for us i.e replace with slicks and swap out chainring if needed. The 1 x was easy to upgrade, while to a newbie, the 2 x seemed complicated hence my question.

We don't like hybrids and have an addiction for the versatility (and looks) of MTBs. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ˜ˆ I've never seen a bike that was "perfect" and didn't require a few mods to get it "just right," it is also part of the fun and very addictive.

Hope that clarifies the "why convert a bike." ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ™‚ @Cycleops @Mo1959 ^_^:blush:

@Sharky @Ajax Bay Thanks for your advice.:sun: ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ I did not know the existing set up would give circa 25mph. We will keep the existing 2 x and swap to the WTB thickslick tyres. (What does FD mean please?)

Thanks for your input, I know it must sometimes appear that we newbies ask stupid questions but we are fast learners and appreciate the feedback in getting our upgrades right. It turns out we don't need to upgrade the chainring and just upgrade to slicks.

Attachments

• 20201013_152324.jpg
    20201013_152324.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200915_114136.jpg
    20200915_114136.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I did not know the existing set up would give circa 25mph.
No gear will "give" you 25mph. What I meant was that if you have the strength and power in your legs, you will still be pedaling at a reasonable cadence at 25mph.

One of the all time greats (Ray Booty), was the first man to break 4 hours for a 100 mile time trial. This is an average of 25mph for the whole 4 hours and he did it on an 84" fixed gear. It's the rider not the bike that gives the speed.

Cheers - keep safe

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2x 10 isn't compliated. I'd stick with it, and use the large ring - TBH quite a bit of my regular route is large ring on my 2 x 10 Full Suspension, and I've worn 2 large rings out and only 1 small ring. It will save you money if you leave it. See how it goes, and you could always go for a bigger chain ring, but I can say my 38 x 12 or 13 is hardly ever used, even down hill on tarmac.

Get the bike you like, change the tyres and have fun. Remember having that smaller ring will allow your kids to go off road, or also offers a bail out gear. But, if you want change to 1x at the front remove the mech and shifter (unless integrated with the brake lever) and pop them in a spares box.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@fossyant No such thing as weight, only weak legs. Bahahahaha :laugh:;)๐Ÿšดโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŒช

I always appreciate your input and feedback, you're like a more experienced MTB big bro :okay:

Anyone who hasn't ridden a hardtail on the streets has no ideas what they are missing out on lolss:sun:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@fossyant No such thing as weight, only weak legs. Bahahahaha :laugh:;)๐Ÿšดโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐ŸŒช

I always appreciate your input and feedback, you're like a more experienced MTB big bro :okay:

Anyone who hasn't ridden a hardtail on the streets has no ideas what they are missing out on lolss:sun:

At one point I converted my old Skool 90's MTB into a commuter with Hutchinson City Slickers - they were only 1.2 inches wide, but were really quick for commuting - no good for mucking about in an urban situation, but nice and quick until I bought my fixed gear commuter. It's now in a winter off road mode with 2.1 tyres and mudguards for the tracks near me rather than taking the full suspension out for a 'mild ride'.

Top Bottom