Can I change this new bike to a 1 x system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
@fossyant No such thing as weight, only weak legs. Bahahahaha :laugh:;)🚴‍♂️🌪

I always appreciate your input and feedback, you're like a more experienced MTB big bro :okay:

Anyone who hasn't ridden a hardtail on the streets has no ideas what they are missing out on lolss:sun:

If you stick to tarmac and think a MTB with front suspension is fun, you should really try a road bike with half the weight.

faster

Über Member
Not wanting to sound too negative, but I think there is a good chance you'll not be able to fit anything bigger than 36t to that bike. Look at the photo - there is very little clearance between the chainring and the chainstay.

Also, whilst one of the previous posters is correct in that you would be able to do 25mph with that gear, it's quite a big compromise to make imo. Unless you're very weak, on the road you'll always be in the tiny sprockets on the cassette and as a result, the bike will eat through chains and cassettes in no time if you are doing a lot of miles on it.

Downhill or in a decent tailwind, it'll be miserable imo.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It won't make enough difference TBH, good luck getting an MTB on knobblies at 25MPH on the flat.
The bike can help. Slightly built young women glide past me even though we are pedalling at about the same cadence. They are on plastic bikes with higher gearing.
Hmm...

I had a similar experience years ago. I was whizzing along on my road bike doing about 20 mph and I heard the characteristic sound of big knobbly tyres on tarmac coming up quickly behind me. Suddenly a young woman on a MTB went past doing about 30 mph, one hand on the bars and the other holding her bottle. She took a quick drink, called out a cheery 'hi', replaced the bottle in its cage and shot off even faster. I saw her turn off the road up a steep bridleway ahead of me. By the time I'd got to the gate she was almost at the top of a hill way up to my left. Boy, she was fit...

A month later, I spotted her in one of the MTB mags - it was Deb Murrell.

Womens' Cross-country Mountain Bike, Atlanta Olympics, 1996

1, Paola Pezzo, Italy, 1:50:51
2, Alison Sydor, Canada, 1:51:58
3, Susan Demattei, Fairfax, Calif., 1:52:36
22, Deb Murrell, Britain, 2:04:44
:notworthy:

weareHKR

I did it with mine, removed the the old triple & the knackered Derailleur.
Changed to a 48T Narrow/Wide single & new cranks as the old triple chainrings were riveted together.
If there's not much clearance between the chainring & the stays you can always get a new BB with a longer axle length, fortunately mine was well clear.(square taper)
I have a good straight chain line to the second highest gear, so it feels fine for going up or down the cassette, although I only use the first 3 high gears, I did adjust the derailleur to stop it going into the lowest gear, that did look just wrong.
IMG_20201002_155139.jpg

Top Bottom