Can I change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
The rings on this to a 53/39

IMG_0913.jpg

if so would this be ok

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FSA-Carbon-Pro-Outer-Chainring-BCD-130-53T-Chain-Ring-/130481502114?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e614db7a2

Thanks everyone

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No. That's a compact chainset, so you'd need new cranks and rings. The BCD is different.

Come on, what's the new bike ?

gbb

Legendary Member
The FSA crankset will be a compact 50/34 so a BCD of 110. The chainrings you're looking at are 135...so no.

You can get anything up to a 40T on 100 BCD for the inner, not sure what sizes they do above 50 on the outer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Compacts are 110 BCD, Shimano Standard is 130 and Campag Standard is 135.

You shouldn't need to change really - you need to pedal quicker. 50 x 12 is bigger than 53 x 13 or 50 x 11 vs 53 x 12.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Compacts are 110 BCD, Shimano Standard is 130 and Campag Standard is 135.

You shouldn't need to change really - you need to pedal quicker. 50 x 12 is bigger than 53 x 13 or 50 x 11 vs 53 x 12.

Ok

Cassette was a 13T, so I ordered a 11T, cant really afford a FSA SLK just yet, but as its BB30 there isnt much option out there at the moment

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Ok

Cassette was a 13T, so I ordered a 11T, cant really afford a FSA SLK just yet, but as its BB30 there isnt much option out there at the moment

Am not sure why you want to swap the chainset, but for 110BCD T.A. e.g. makes any size chain ring down to 33T for inner and up to at least 61T for the outer, available from Spa and others.

Will1985

Über Member
You can safely put the thicker compact 52t chainrings on - FSA Super Road or Stronglight CT2 Crono. I've had a go on bigger normal rings but the flex is more obvious. Pros have been known to use 52/38 or 52/36 on compacts - far more versatile IMO rather than 2 cranks, but the issue is the stiffness of the outer ring.

GrasB

Veteran
Actually 110BDC gives you more options so don't change the cranks. There are lots of options out there but these will probably do you:
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP2143.aspx?db_src=internal&db_med=7&db_cam=DPL
http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP2466.aspx?db_src=internal&db_med=7&db_cam=DPL

I have no idea what 110BDC means LOL

BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter), and variants on the same theme, is the diameter of the circle that would be formed going through the centre of the chainring bolts. SJS have a nice diagram/table.

A compact chainset is 110mm, a regular double is 130mm (135mm Campag) and a track chainset 144mm.

For a given chainring size a smaller BCD will mean more chainring and less crank spider - hence you would tend to think that you'd get more flex from a 110mm BCD compared to a 130mm BCD for the same size chainring.

However, people seem to cope with big (>50T) chainrings on a 110mm BCD, and companies sell the rings, so I guess they won't normally fold-over like cardboard.

I'd have thought 52T 110BCD, with a bit of adjustment where your front mech is, will be fine.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter), and variants on the same theme, is the diameter of the circle that would be formed going through the centre of the chainring bolts. SJS have a nice diagram/table.

A compact chainset is 110mm, a regular double is 130mm (135mm Campag) and a track chainset 144mm.

For a given chainring size a smaller BCD will mean more chainring and less crank spider - hence you would tend to think that you'd get more flex from a 110mm BCD compared to a 130mm BCD for the same size chainring.

However, people seem to cope with big (>50T) chainrings on a 110mm BCD, and companies sell the rings, so I guess they won't normally fold-over like cardboard.

I'd have thought 52T 110BCD, with a bit of adjustment where your front mech is, will be fine.

Thanks For that

GrasB

Veteran
only thing with large compact chainrings is make sure you don't get the lightweight stuff if you tend to grind. I've found that the 110BDC 54t TA Zephyr rings I linked to are stiffer than the 130BDC 54t SRAM red!

Top Bottom