Can I convert wheel to Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mart79

Hi guys

I bought a Carrera Vendetta back in January, which I didn't realise at the time had extra wide tyres. Which I'm not keen on and seems to take a bit more effort that my previous bike with thinner standard Tyres, in hindsight I should of rejected the bike when I collected and picked something else.

Anyway I would quite like to put the thinner more standard wheels from my Old bike onto the new Carrera, but the new bike is Disc brakes where as the old bike is V brakes. Do I need to buy new wheel altogether or can I just buy an adapter that will allow me to install the Discs onto the old wheels?

rivers

How far can I go?
What size are your current tyres? You should be able to put narrower tyres on, but how narrow depends on the wheel spec. It looks like they're 2.8" knobblies. Might be worth getting some slightly narrower slicks instead. Knobbly tyres will definitely be slower than slick tyres on the road.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Ms TF has Schwalbe Kojaks on her offroader. Forget the exact size but I think they are 35, they seem to roll nicely and the feel of the bike is much closer to a road bike. As far as changing to discs is concerned, they require specific hubs. However, many MTB's supplied with rim brakes come with disc ready hubs.

OP
OP
M

Mart79

It currently has 27.5x2.8 tyres on, i have since been in touch with someone on Tredz live chat, they say the smallest i can drop to it 2.6, which doesn't sound much.

T4tomo

Guru
that looks quite knobbly, if you are road only get something that looks lie a road / commuter tyre,

if you still need some off road grip something like
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-smart-sam-performance-tyre/rp-prod171961
or
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-hurricane-performance-dd-tyre/rp-prod193436 (2.4 would be fine even if tredz say 2.6 minimum)

which have an almost continuous centre band will roll faster, than a intermittent knobbles. its the energy of those deforming as you roll that makes them slower.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd go with 2.4's as T4tomo says. You can get away with narrower or wider tyres than is recommended. By using wider rims, many manufacturers say the tyres roll better, than on a narrower rim.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It currently has 27.5x2.8 tyres on, i have since been in touch with someone on Tredz live chat, they say the smallest i can drop to it 2.6, which doesn't sound much.
You should be able to drop much further than this. I don't know why someone hasn't suggested Schwalbe Marathons before now. Available in 27.5 X 1.75, should rolll very nicely:
1618923336360.png

If you bought a mountain bike to ride on the road you've probably bought the wrong bike.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
M

Mart79

Thanks guys, just 1 more question the current wheel on the carrera has tubless tyres, so effectively glued to the rims, similiar to car tyres, when replacing the tyres, i'm guessing i would need to buy a particular tyre blue? last time I changed a bike tyre it had an inner tube

OP
OP
M

Mart79

You should be able to drop much further than this. I don't know why someone hasn't suggested Schwalbe Marathons before now. Available in 27.5 X 1.75, should rolll very nicely:
View attachment 584858

If you bought a mountain bike to ride on the road you've probably bought the wrong bike.
My intention when looking for a bike was a mix of both off road and road, the Carrera Vendetta looked to fit the bill, unfortunately however I didn't read the description on the Halfords website properly and only realised it had fat tyres when I went to collect it. And as I had to delay collection a number of times due to work and getting Covid I didn't want to mess them about anymore by telling them I had changed my mind and just took the bike away, thinking it would be fine.

Thanks guys, just 1 more question the current wheel on the carrera has tubless tyres, so effectively glued to the rims, similiar to car tyres, when replacing the tyres, i'm guessing i would need to buy a particular tyre blue? last time I changed a bike tyre it had an inner tube

it may have tubeless tyre at the moment but that doesn't mean you cant run tyres with tubes. the tyres will pop off the rim and break the sealant seal with a bit of pressure.

you could also try to 'getto' fit non tubeless tyres on the tubeless rims. might get messy but itll be fun - check you tube for inspiration. i reckon the tyres @Cycleops linked to may work, they are good tyres for rolling and puncture resistance.

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Depends what you mean by "offroad"!

Anything specced as offroad can be expected to come with wide nobbly tyres, so able to cope with all offroad conditions (big rocks).

But you seem to want something able to cope with a little light offroad but mainly on road?

Maybe worth saying what you mean by "offroad"

In which case, as suggested above, a wideish road tyre like a Marathon or similar should suit much better than a nobbly but thinner tyre. Or a "gravel" style tyre.

Don't know about tubeless compatibility; personally I'd just put tubes in! But tyres should state on the spec if they're tubeless compatible.

Top Bottom