Can I convert wheel to Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That in no way means that it is glued on. Those tyres are NOT tubulars.
What you have is tubeless ready rims and tyres that may or may not be tubeless. I haven't seen the tyres named. If they are tubeless rims and tubeless tyres they can be a real PIA to get the bead to break away from the rim.
I asked for photos. Please supply some so that we can advise accordingly. Alternatively just continue believing that you are right and we are all wrong.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
M

Mart79

Probably just stuck a bit. Definitely not glued. Have another more forceful go.

I've no personal experience with tubeless, but my understanding is that once deflated you need a super whoosh blaster thingy* to get enough air in all at once to reinflate and seal, so you've probably got inner tubes in there.

*I believe that's the technical term**
** One of these

View attachment 584934
'A super whoosh blaster thingy' needs to be the technical term :laugh::laugh: I have one of those, albeit a basic version (doesn't have a pressure sensor on it) will have another go tomorrow when I'm bored.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
'A super whoosh blaster thingy' needs to be the technical term :laugh::laugh: I have one of those, albeit a basic version (doesn't have a pressure sensor on it) will have another go tomorrow when I'm bored.

I suspect what you have is a standard track pump.

The super whoosh blaster thingy comes with an additional cylinder to store a large reservoir of high pressure air, so it fills the tyre all in one go rather than a stroke at a time.

I'm reliably informed* that all super whoosh blaster thingies have pressure gauges.

ie I have an uninformed but nevertheless very strong opinion.

OP
OP
M

Mart79

That in no way means that it is glued on. Those tyres are NOT tubulars.
What you have is tubeless ready rims and tyres that may or may not be tubeless. I haven't seen the tyres named. If they are tubeless rims and tubeless tyres they can be a real PIA to get the bead to break away from the rim.
I asked for photos. Please supply some so that we can advise accordingly. Alternatively just continue believing that you are right and we are all wrong.
At no point have I said they are definitely glued to the rim, I said I ASSUMED they were glued.
What exactly do you want pictures of? the tyres currently on the bike are those that are shown in the description and pictures of the bike via the link I provided earlier.

OP
OP
M

Mart79

Ok, pictures of the tyre(s)

Attachments

• 775B3E77-7441-4A2F-B180-3BF42A1B4049.jpeg
    775B3E77-7441-4A2F-B180-3BF42A1B4049.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 6
  • BCE6156E-BC5A-42FC-AB93-7E664C4741C1.jpeg
    BCE6156E-BC5A-42FC-AB93-7E664C4741C1.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 0C846333-01B8-44F1-AE6E-46D1FA56475F.jpeg
    0C846333-01B8-44F1-AE6E-46D1FA56475F.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 6

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
...and picture number three suggested it has an inner tube (or should have).

"Tube Tyre" does indeed suggest there's a tube in the tyre, but I guess you never know...

chriswoody

Legendary Member
100% there's an inner tube in there.

Picture one shows a normal Shrader valve in there, tubeless tyres use a Presta valve and the lock ring has a rubber washer under it to seal it. As above, the tyre is just firmly stuck into the bead of the rim.

Are there any markings on the rim itself mentioning how wide it is? Some rims have this and a quick Google will give you an idea of potential tire size's for that rim. The chart below is one example, but it's not completely set in stone.

1618944467169.png

OP
OP
M

Mart79

100% there's an inner tube in there.

Picture one shows a normal Shrader valve in there, tubeless tyres use a Presta valve and the lock ring has a rubber washer under it to seal it. As above, the tyre is just firmly stuck into the bead of the rim.

Are there any markings on the rim itself mentioning how wide it is? Some rims have this and a quick Google will give you an idea of potential tire size's for that rim. The chart below is one example, but it's not completely set in stone.

View attachment 584951
I haven't seen anything but I also can't say I've had a proper look at the rim itself.
How do i measure the wheel rim width,

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I haven't seen anything but I also can't say I've had a proper look at the rim itself.
How do i measure the wheel rim width,

1618945408498.png

Sheldon Brown has some good info on tire/rim compatibility, though he does err on the side of caution.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Schwalbe tires have a more detailed chart:

https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schw...n_2020/Reifen_Felgenkombinationen_2020_EN.pdf

Generally, if you know you're inner rim width, then read around a bit and see what the general consensus is on the narrowest size tyre that will fit. I bet they'll go narrower than what Tredz suggest.

bagpuss

Guru
Two of my road bikes still have sew ups fitted . Running at about 120 psi . Spare tub fitted under the saddle with old toe straps when out and about . I tend to use rim tape as apposed to cement . Less of a high when fitting ! and i don't end glued to the rim.

Top Bottom