'Can I get?'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Example: At the bar; 'can I get a gin and tonic?'

If I was the bar person asked this, the answer would be along the lines of 'well this would be a pretty rubbish pub if we couldn't manage a g&t and it's ok I'll get it for you, it will be easier from this side of the bar and besides, it's my job and the landlord doesn't like the customers helping themselves anyway'.

Why are people using this stupid phrase FFS!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dunno - don't get into pubs much..booo..hooo

Pint of (insert beer here) please in my books.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
slowmotion said:
"I say, Mine Host, could I possibly trouble you for a pint of Buckie?" seems to work for me..

Hmm, I usually find "a pint of your finest foaming ale stout yeoman of the bar" gets me thrown into the street.

montage

God Almighty
my neighbour is a bartender at my local and I'm surprised she hasn't moved house yet as every single time I order a pint from her it's:
"I'll have a (insert John smiths, ruddles or IPA here) please....oh and I'm not in the mood for any head thanks"

snakehips

Earlier while waiting for Springwatch to start I flicked on to one of the Eurosport channels.
To my surprise and delight there were a lot of young women in swimming cossies riding bicycles.
It was a recording of a women's triathlon from Mexico with an American commentator.
The commentator used a strange tense throughout.
Instead of saying ....
X was faster at the changeover , she then did this or that
Y steadily worked her way through the field
Z hung on to win by 30 secs .........etc

he used a conditional form ...........

X would be faster at the changeover
Y would work her way through ...
Z would hang on ....

Is this common ? Is it peculiarly American ? Should I get out more ?

Snake

My Library

battered

Guru
I hate the "can I get" tendency too, and make a point of saying "may I have..." instead, whichn probably identifies me (correctly) as being over 40. The only one I correct is "Is that a regular size coffee?" "No, that's a *standard* size coffee please, regular is a frequency, not a size." At this point it's *essential* to smile your most winning smile, as they are trained to say "regular size" and they'll give you their best "yeah I know it's crap, but hey, it pays" smile back. If you don't smile they are just likely to mutter "twat" under their breath and spit in your coffee.

Top Bottom