Can I keep up with a road bike on a flat bar road bike or hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bike1049

What kind of average speeds can you achieve on a flat bar or hybrid around relatively hilly area? And would it be possible to stay with a road bike?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Define relatively hilly area?
And yes- it's you not the bike, I ride a flat bar road bike and keep up with friends on their road bikes without even thinking about it.
Road bikes are great for varying hand positions and being more aero when you are in the right position- after that it's all the rider.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Yup, it's the rider. Also all hybrids aren't created equal. My Sirrus has the same compact front as the Synapse and an 11-32 rear rather than the 12-28 on the Synapse. In theory, given the right rider, it should be quicker :-)

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Yup, it's the rider. Also all hybrids aren't created equal. My Sirrus has the same compact front as the Synapse and an 11-32 rear rather than the 12-28 on the Synapse. In theory, given the right rider, it should be quicker :-)
Not playing top trumps but my Giant Rapid is a triple with 52 up front coupled with 11 rear so given the right rider should be quicker than an awful lot of bikes, sadly I'm not! lol.
Besides downhill top end speed is only half the story, if that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If you do find the roadie getting away from you, tie the piece of string mentioned above to their seat stay and your handlebars. Job done.

Or pretend you've had a mechanical by stopping and doing lots of cursing.

The roadie won't realise what you are doing, honest.

Top Bottom