Can I keep up with a road bike on a flat bar road bike or hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
No more bikes needed...but I did see a lush de rosa yesterday, fortunately the wrong size!

Big Nick

I've actually set my highest average speed on my hybrid (on a 32 mile ride) so yes I could keep up with myself on my road bike !!!

OP
OP
B

bike1049

Yeah true

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What is it that you really want to know?

Are road bikes quicker than hybrids - probably, if both were ridden flat out by equally fit riders.

Could a fit person on a hybrid keep up with someone less fit riding flat out on a road bike - probably.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I had a Boardman Hybrid Pro. A 9 odd kg bike which, by the time I finished fettling, had 25mm tyres, a compact chainset with a top gear of 50/11, flipped stem, loads of seatpost, head down arse up geometry/position. The flat, narrow bars had ergo grips and the whole thing stopped on a sixpence thanks to the hydraulic disc brakes. I rode with several roadies on out and out road bikes, and never once felt underbiked in comparison. It had very snappy acceleration, and because of the hydraulic discs out braked everything in the wet, so was very confidence inspiring. Hand on heart, I'm not sure I'm much faster on my road bike.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Rider for rider, the road bike would be quicker, but all riders aren't equal.

To give an extreme example, I could be riding the most state-of-the-art aero TT bike in the world, and Tony Martin would still beat me on a full-susser MTB.

Are you sure of that Hipster? He might be an excellent pro' road cyclist but aren't they only used to the tools of their trade? Him on a knobbly tyred mountain bike would be like a champion jockey on a shire horse maybe?

Top Bottom