Can I keep up with a road bike on a flat bar road bike or hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Are you sure of that Hipster? He might be an excellent pro' road cyclist but aren't they only used to the tools of their trade? Him on a knobbly tyred mountain bike would be like a champion jockey on a shire horse maybe?
I'd be pretty positive. Did you see the Cycle Show recently where the presenter did downhill on a full suss MTB and then they gave the instructor a skinny tyred road bike to beat him on?

buttonnine

Did a 69 mile charity ride last year on my Giant Escape and managed to keep up with loads of roadies, until the last ten miles when I 'bonked' and took nearly an hour to complete those last ten the consequence of hauling an alu framed bike round for five hours, this year its different cause I'll be a roadie!.

oliglynn

Über Member
I'd be pretty positive. Did you see the Cycle Show recently where the presenter did downhill on a full suss MTB and then they gave the instructor a skinny tyred road bike to beat him on?

Would like to see the opposite of this -a road race with a Pro roadie on a beat up poor fitting steel frame MTB with knobblies, wearing flipflops, vs amateur roadie with decent carbon road bike.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
There is a bit in Tyler Hamiltons book The Secret Race where he chases down two weekend warriors on road bikes when he is riding an old utility bike. I wouldn't fancy trying to outpace a pro if he was riding a flat bar bike and I was on a road bike. I know I would get my butt kicked in no uncertain terms.
I quite often ride a full suspension Stumpjumper when I go out with a mate who only rides occasionally, he rides a road bike and it gives us a bit parity without thinking about it.
As said already the main factor is fitness.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I recall Michael Hutchinson mentioning that a serious looking roadie wasn't at all happy at being passed by a fellow in civvies on a Brompton.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
If you assume equality of fitness, gearing and bike weight then the only differences will be aerodynamics and to a far less extent braking. If you look at time trial bikes then it would suggest that a flat bar bike can be plenty aero enough.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Any speed difference after equality of fitness will be mainly position based, both aero on the rider profile and position enabling better use of the of leg muscles.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
As you go faster body aerodynamics become the issue, that's why road bikes tend to be faster all other things being equal as the human power unit is in a more aerodynamic position. On climbs, aerodynamics count for little but weight matters.
That's it really.

thefollen

Veteran
Find hills much more pleasant on the road bike. On the roadie I like the leverage of the hoods, the legs simply feel as though they have more as a result of the 'hammer' grip. Perhaps due to positioning, perhaps psychological.

MacB

Find hills much more pleasant on the road bike. On the roadie I like the leverage of the hoods, the legs simply feel as though they have more as a result of the 'hammer' grip. Perhaps due to positioning, perhaps psychological.

I think that's quite normal as plenty of people indicate a preference for bar ends when climbing

MacB

I had a Boardman hybrid on which I managed similar average speeds to my road bike, probably because I loathed it and couldn't wait to get off it!

Now I find this comment strange, and I know it was probably at least partly in jest, but I've seen similar comments on the relief and night/day differences moving to a road bike make. I've ridden with almost every variation of cockpit you could think of and I haven't 'loathed' a bike yet. I've found variations in comfort and gradually worked out setups that would give me maximum comfort while still being reasonably efficient.

Top Bottom