Can I mix and match a group set?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeWakefield03

Hi, I’m currently in need of a new derailleur and shifter. I was wondering whether I could mix a 9spd Shimano Deore derailleur with a 9spd shimano Altus shifter?

Yes
Edit:Apologies, wasn't meant to seem so curt!
:smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Up to 9 sp?

I thought 7-8 speed worked, but 9 was a different spacing?

That's true for chains/cassettes. The shifters and derailleurs share a common cable pull up to 9sp though.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
So I can use a 9sp shifter on an eight speed cassette? Indexed as well?
No. The indexing is speed specific (at the shifter).

An 8sp shifter pulls a set amount of cable to move a shift. A 9sp will move a different amount of cable.

However, the derailleur isn't indexed. All the way up to 9sp, the distance a derailleur moves per unit of cable movement is identical. At 10sp, Shimano changed the distance the derailleur moves per unit of cable Movement, so you cannot use a 10sp MTB derailleur with a 9sp indexed shifter (nor the other way round)

ChrisEyles

Guru
That's interesting, I didn't know 10 speed derailleurs moved a different distance for a given amount of cable pull. Is that true for sram as well as shimano? If I ever venture past 8 speed I'll have to remember that, I am an inveterate mix & matcher!

freiston

Veteran
Shimano 8 speed pulls 2.8mm cable, 9 speed pulls 2.5 mm according to CUK (aka CTC) website:

shiftingtable.jpg

Source: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-...sion-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo#Shimergo

Top Bottom