Can i pump my tyres up more than the recommendation on the tyre wall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you mean tubular? Tubeless shouldn't puncture as easily when hitting potholes or debris on the road, or so I have been told.

No I meant tubeless;if the OP thought his standard clinchers were under-inflated dunno what he'd make of tubeless as they are run at even lower pressures usually.

Tubeless are ace over pot holes and rough roads,got some nice cobbled sleeping policemen here which are knackered due to lorries and buses and with the tubeless can give it the berries over them^_^.

Reactions: 2IT

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No I meant tubeless;if the OP thought his standard clinchers were under-inflated dunno what he'd make of tubeless as they are run at even lower pressures usually.

Tubeless are ace over pot holes and rough roads,got some nice cobbled sleeping policemen here which are knackered due to lorries and buses and with the tubeless can give it the berries over them^_^.
Ah, ok.

I like the idea of tubeless tyres but worry about the mess from the sealant when the tyres wear out, or if a puncture too bad for sealant to fix needs sorting out on a ride. @Sea of vapours is a fan. He told me about his tubeless setup on my Settle ride last year and got me interested.

I wouldn't worry about sealant mess, Colin. I've just changed a tyre this morning in fact and whilst I did remove the tyre over a towel, said towel did not receive a single drop of the sealant (and no, it hadn't all dried out!). It requires a little care, but really not very much care. As an experiment, having removed one bead, I put a tube in, reseated the tyre and pumped it up, just to make sure that I could. That was also easy and non-messy (I'd tipped the sealant out before putting the tube in). Clearly, I did have to wipe the tube down once I'd made sure it worked OK in the worn out, tubeless tyre. Oh, and that was all without resort to any tools beyond my hands, so that aspect wasn't difficult either. All most reassuring :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
As they are 25's then you should have them between 85-90psi,the days of 100psi+ were for really narrow tyres;you'll probably find that you are less likely to pop a tube over pot holes running a lower pressure(actually think most pinch flats are mostly due to poorly installed tubes).

Good job you don't have tubeless though,,,,,
I've 110psi(recomended) in 2.20 tyres!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just remembered being out with a few other riders last year ... We stopped for a quick snack and a drink. Suddenly, there was a loud BANG! A friend's front inner tube had exploded after one of the tyre's beads popped free of the rim.

Here is a picture of the tube draped over my handlebars while we put a spare in.

exploded-inner-tube-jpg.94491.jpg

You can see the huge split in it!

This was just before we did a rapid descent through Cragg Vale. A front wheel blowout then could have been very nasty ...

I wouldn't worry about sealant mess, Colin. I've just changed a tyre this morning in fact and whilst I did remove the tyre over a towel, said towel did not receive a single drop of the sealant (and no, it hadn't all dried out!). It requires a little care, but really not very much care. As an experiment, having removed one bead, I put a tube in, reseated the tyre and pumped it up, just to make sure that I could. That was also easy and non-messy (I'd tipped the sealant out before putting the tube in). Clearly, I did have to wipe the tube down once I'd made sure it worked OK in the worn out, tubeless tyre. Oh, and that was all without resort to any tools beyond my hands, so that aspect wasn't difficult either. All most reassuring :smile:

Had to change a faulty valve last week and had the same experience as this;tyre off and kept upright a quick wipe of the rim and the faulty valve removed(actually part of a stand cyclocross rim tape).Then new valve and rim tape and tyre put back on and inflated;still holding up at the moment.

Think it took about ten minutes at the most.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ok it's confession time! :angel: When i said i'd pumped the tyres up to 100 psi but still felt soft, well i hadn't pumped them up to 100 psi, more like 50 psi! On last Wednesday's club ride someone thumb tested them and said they felt more like 40 than 100 psi. I insisted my track pump gauge was accurate. The other day i decided to pump them up again and the gauge showed 50 psi. I hadn't been pressing the nozzle down on the valve enough for it to register correctly. Ooops,silly me.:blush:

Last edited:
Top Bottom