Can i pump my tyres up more than the recommendation on the tyre wall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Something else worth taking into account, are your inner tubes up to the increase in pressure?
They'll have to deal with every imperfection on the wheel and inside of the tyre.

Just checked front and rear on mine. Same manufacturer, same use. But the upper pressure on the front pair is the same as the lower pressure on the rear pair. Always thought there was a slight overlap.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Something else worth taking into account, are your inner tubes up to the increase in pressure?
They'll have to deal with every imperfection on the wheel and inside of the tyre.

Just checked front and rear on mine. Same manufacturer, same use. But the upper pressure on the front pair is the same as the lower pressure on the rear pair. Always thought there was a slight overlap.

I use these normally. http://www.acycles.co.uk/schwalbe-i....html?utm_source=google_produit_cpc&gclid=Cj0
I don't know what's in the tyres i'm on about.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've two spare inner tubes. All four are now the same.

Previously the rear had two Michelin heavy duty(4mm thick) tubes.

Have you ever actually managed to pump a tyre off the rim?
Done once, using a compressed airline. Having done the front to 115PSI(5PSI) over the marked limit, checked with a pressure gauge, I moved to the rear wheel. Dust cap off and in the hand, when the front exploded inside a building.

You can chance it and maybe nothing will go wrong. Or as a relative who used to cycle commented, the pressure is going to blow it off the rim, but still felt soft to him. That was 85PSI.
That happened to me once. I'm still in therapy. The shrink muttered something about traumatic stress syndrome.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you sure the gauge on your pump is accurate? If you want to go higher, get some better tyres that will

Your new bike will have cheap tyres and no name PX tubes I expect

Too right i am Colin! Since that Trough of Bowland pothole incident(and the double pothole puncture(s) 5 days before) i'm on the constant look out for holes in the road. So much so that my one advantage i had over the other riders, my daredevil descending:rolleyes:, has been curtailed from around 45mph to around 30mph.:sad:

I'm pretty anal about tyre pressures on my motorbikes but on the push iron I just push with thumbs and a little give has always been ok for me. The way you did it as a youngster on your BMX. I have standard tyres on my Genesis and 'touch wood' no issues. Don't over inflate though.
If I get a +1 geared bike this summer I must join you all around the trough, I live just other side in caton

As they are 25's then you should have them between 85-90psi,the days of 100psi+ were for really narrow tyres;you'll probably find that you are less likely to pop a tube over pot holes running a lower pressure(actually think most pinch flats are mostly due to poorly installed tubes).

Good job you don't have tubeless though,,,,,

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As they are 25's then you should have them between 85-90psi,the days of 100psi+ were for really narrow tyres;you'll probably find that you are less likely to pop a tube over pot holes running a lower pressure(actually think most pinch flats are mostly due to poorly installed tubes).

Good job you don't have tubeless though,,,,,
Did you mean tubular? Tubeless shouldn't puncture as easily when hitting potholes or debris on the road, or so I have been told.

Reactions: 2IT

Ajax Bay

Guru
If you and your bike weigh more than 95kg, OP, fit 28s, if the frame allows; or fit tyres that have a maximum above 100psi; or lose weight; or accept greater likelihood of pinch flats. Applies to rear tyre: front should be 20ish psi less.
But above all stop worrying about whether the tyres 'feel' soft when they're at 100psi, because they are not: @Seevio 's brilliant 'PSS'.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom