Can I switch a Garmin off/on mid ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I switch my Garmins (200 & Touring) off all the time mid ride during lunch/breaks etc.
It doesn't effect the recording or average.

Chris1983

Yes you can, but I find on long routes my 1000 ends up not giving any turn by turn directions (everything else works as it should). I put it down to a bug in the software but your question has made me think if its linked to me powering it down during a rest stop.

My edge 1000 does the same occasional. Especially if it thinks I've missed a way point. I wish there was a skip to next way point option.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
My Edge 1000 has a sleep option, so you don't need to turn it off when resting.
Seems to work fine for me, but I agree that Garmins can be somewhat unpredictable and often frustrating.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have a 500 and on rides of longer than 13 hours (eg first part of a 400 or 600 Audax) I want to put some charge in at a stop/control (from a 2.2Ahc power bank). As soon as I plug it in the ride terminates (effectively 'switches off' as per thread title) and when I start off again I have to restart ie a new activity and the distance travelled is 'lost'. This matters because the turns on the routesheet are marked from the start eg 274k L @ T $ Penzance. Can someone tell me if there's a routine/work-around I can follow to resolve this, please? (I have been through the manual.)

PK99

Legendary Member
My Edge 1000 has a sleep option, so you don't need to turn it off when resting.
Seems to work fine for me, but I agree that Garmins can be somewhat unpredictable and often frustrating.

If I were you I'd be pretty uncertain about that.... don't you find Garmins are great for telling you where you are or what speed you are going but not both?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
what does it do to your average time and stuff (not that I'm too bothered, just interested to see)?

If you're uploading to Strava, all your averages are calculated on moving time rather than elapsed time, so you can rest assured that you won't be made to look even slower than you already are.

Also just looking at this but it always cocks up the elevation afterwards so you'll see (maybe) that it'll say on the way in it's 1-5ft but on the way home it's like -60-65ft. Not sure what's up with that..

I used to have this problem until I realised that...

Depends on the Garmin model, but on the units with a barometric sensor if there is a change in air pressure during the day (quite likely) it will make a difference to the elevation recorded. If the weather got worse as a result of falling air pressure the garmin will record a leap in climbing/ascent.

...this was the answer. It took me a while to cotton on - I didn't even realise my 510 had a barometric sensor until very recently. Wet weather can interfere with the sensor too but it's usually down to turning the device off when you stop and turning it on again later, by which time atmospheric conditions have changed.

The 510 has more than enough battery capacity to leave it running for the duration of a 200km audax without turning it off at controls, so now I don't bother and just leave it outside on the bike. I've even turned off the auto-pause. It's fine. I have a battery pack to top it up for longer rides.

Would this be the case for the Garmin 200, I always use the Garmin for work but have to save the data and switch off which mean 2 activities instead of one

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Would this be the case for the Garmin 200, I always use the Garmin for work but have to save the data and switch off which mean 2 activities instead of one

Nope... as I said up thread. You can switch off without saving and also charge up mid ride and you will not lose the recording.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Even if you save and start a new one (to be sure of not losing when you switch off - sometimes strange things do happen), rides are just stored as XML and they are a piece of piss to stitch together by hand (or I would guess there is something on the web to do it).

GravityFighter

Über Member
I have the 510 and this automatically powers down & switches off after a few mins once I have paused mid-ride. Then when I turn it back on the same ride is continued automatically until I hit the 'Play' triangular button to end the ride and save it.

Would have thought the 810 does similar.

R_nger

Guru
Even if you save and start a new one (to be sure of not losing when you switch off - sometimes strange things do happen), rides are just stored as XML and they are a piece of piss to stitch together by hand (or I would guess there is something on the web to do it).
They're not XML on the Edge models, they're binary FIT files. They may appear as XML when you send them to your tool of choice, but I think they may lose data during the conversion (certainly heartrate and cadence, possibly temperature too)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I have the 510 and this automatically powers down & switches off after a few mins once I have paused mid-ride. Then when I turn it back on the same ride is continued automatically until I hit the 'Play' triangular button to end the ride and save it.

Yeah - a handy battery-saving feature, except for the annoying way it buggers up the elevation data.

This is why I never pause mine during rides now - the battery still lasts long enough to get around a 200km audax with plenty to spare (as long as I remembered to charge it up before starting).

It's actually quite useful to leave it running while doing an audax because then the displayed average speed is a true 'audax average', including stops. It still reverts to 'moving average' when I upload the ride.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
They're not XML on the Edge models, they're binary FIT files. They may appear as XML when you send them to your tool of choice, but I think they may lose data during the conversion (certainly heartrate and cadence, possibly temperature too)

Oh, OK, but you can easily get the XML by downloading with Strava or Garmin Connect, stitch together, delete the old ride(s), re-upload oh this is sounding like a lot of trouble,

Top Bottom