Can I switch a Garmin off/on mid ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joobert

As the title sugests, can I turn my garmin off then on again mid ride?

Let me elaborate...

For example.. If I was to create say a 150 mile route and use this course on my Garmin 810, ride 100 miles then stop somewhere for a couple of hours break before picking up the last 50 miles. I want to save battery so would the Garmin remember the first 100 miles if I switched the Garmin off/on again, so I could log the course as one uninterupted ride?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I would imagine you just press stop and then power it down. When you turn it back on it should just resume.
I have never planned a route myself but that's what happens when I use my 800 for everyday use.

PK99

Legendary Member
As the title sugests, can I turn my garmin off then on again mid ride?

Let me elaborate...

For example.. If I was to create say a 150 mile route and use this course on my Garmin 810, ride 100 miles then stop somewhere for a couple of hours break before picking up the last 50 miles. I want to save battery so would the Garmin remember the first 100 miles if I switched the Garmin off/on again, so I could log the course as one uninterupted ride?

Yes.no problem

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As they've said, it'll be one interrupted ride (unless you reset of course...) regardless of how many times you turn it on and off. Power it down with a track or course loaded and it'll still be ready and waiting when you switch it on again.

Lpoolck

Veteran
Yes you can, but I find on long routes my 1000 ends up not giving any turn by turn directions (everything else works as it should). I put it down to a bug in the software but your question has made me think if its linked to me powering it down during a rest stop.

Gert Lush

Yep, do it every time I ride to work to get my commute on one file instead of two.

Broadside

Guru
On my Edge 800 after I switch it back on I need to press start or it will not record the ride after switching on.

Switch on, press start and then you're laughing.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yep, do it every time I ride to work to get my commute on one file instead of two.
Just to confirm, so that I don't lose data. You'ride in, hit pause, then switch off the garmin (without resetting) . Then when you turn it back on you hit start and ride home?

And it stitches the two rides together?

what does it do to your average time and stuff (not that I'm too bothered, just interested to see)?

Gert Lush

I'm gonna try that.

Don't forget to pause it, didn't say that earlier but all you gotta do is hold down the power off button when it's paused.

The only thing that changes is that on strava the elapsed time will include the length that it was paused. So my commutes have a moving time of 18 minutes but an elapsed time of 9hrs odd.

Edit: Just saw your other post after I wrote this. I find my average time is slower because I'm always more tired after work so I could average 16mph on the way in but maybe 12-13mph on the way home and it'll obviously be lower because of that. I don't know whether you'll be able to see but here's a link to one on strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/589013843

Also just looking at this but it always cocks up the elevation afterwards so you'll see (maybe) that it'll say on the way in it's 1-5ft but on the way home it's like -60-65ft. Not sure what's up with that..

Broadside

Guru
Don't forget to pause it, didn't say that earlier but all you gotta do is hold down the power off button when it's paused.

The only thing that changes is that on strava the elapsed time will include the length that it was paused. So my commutes have a moving time of 18 minutes but an elapsed time of 9hrs odd.

Edit: Just saw your other post after I wrote this. I find my average time is slower because I'm always more tired after work so I could average 16mph on the way in but maybe 12-13mph on the way home and it'll obviously be lower because of that. I don't know whether you'll be able to see but here's a link to one on strava. https://www.strava.com/activities/589013843

Also just looking at this but it always cocks up the elevation afterwards so you'll see (maybe) that it'll say on the way in it's 1-5ft but on the way home it's like -60-65ft. Not sure what's up with that..

Depends on the Garmin model, but on the units with a barometric sensor if there is a change in air pressure during the day (quite likely) it will make a difference to the elevation recorded. If the weather got worse as a result of falling air pressure the garmin will record a leap in climbing/ascent.

Gert Lush

Depends on the Garmin model, but on the units with a barometric sensor if there is a change in air pressure during the day (quite likely) it will make a difference to the elevation recorded. If the weather got worse as a result of falling air pressure the garmin will record a leap in climbing/ascent.

It's an 810. That might be quite likely tbh because on my longer days I start at 8.30-9am ish and finish at 6pm so I imagine it would be different

Top Bottom